Stackie

Opening prev. excrypted Excel files with Excel 2010

Question

I have a user with a previous version of Excel that was password protected AND encrypted. Now another user who has the password is using Excel 2010 and can not open it. The error message says "Excel cannot open this file. Encryption type is not available." However, several others in her dept. can open it.

2 answers to this question

Since there are other people in her department who can open the file, I assume they are all using Excel 2010 yes?

My advice would be to have someone on her team who can open it re-save it with the encryption enabled for excel 2010 and then see if the person having problems can open that file (Excel 2010 to Excel 2010). If they are STILL having issues, uninstall Excel on that users desktop and reinstall it. They must have something else corrupted and you will save time by just blowing it away and starting fresh.

Here's a few references:

Encrypt and Password Protect Office 2010 Documents

Encrypt and Password Protect Office 2007 Documents

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve
      Question from Reader - Email Form

Hi Tom,

Ouch. I know how it feels losing a days worth of work. The worst part is when you have to recreate what you've already done.

To answer your question, when you found the Entry "OutlookSecureTempFolder" what was the path in the DATA column? I assume you reviewed this post here to find it. It looks like you found the registry key entry so your more than 1/2 way there. Find that key again and you should have the path to your OLK folder and your Excel should be sitting there.

Now the path might be a bit confusing because with Outlook 2007, there actually is "NOT" an OLK folder. For instance, on my XP/Outlook 2007 install, my OLK folder or "Temp Outlook Folder" / "OutlookSecureTempFolder" is:

"c:\Documents and Settings\mrgroove\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\4V32TZLP"

So if you look on your box you will find what your looking for in the "Content.Outlook" folder. Take a look there and your golden.

Let me know how this works for you!
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online