groovyPost Forums

Cant upgrade Windows Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate

alexmvp

Ok,

So I just got my HP in the mail apple-f78/apple-imac-vs-hp-pavilion-elite-m9600t-t95631.html and it came delivered with Windows Vista Home Premium Sp1. It's running x64 64-bit and I've been trying all night to get Vista Ultimate installed on it.

I have a 64-bit x64 Ultimate DVD and each time I do the install I enter the Product Key and the option to UPGRADE is grayed out and I only have the option to install a clean copy!!!!

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Thanks!

it.

I have a 64-bit x64 Ultimate DVD and each time I do the install I enter the Product Key and the option to UPGRADE is grayed out and I only have the option to install a clean copy!!!!

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Thanks!

Make sure your using a Vista Ultimate x64 DVD with SP1. If your HP came installed with SP1 and you try to upgrade using an older Vista Ultimate DVD that doesn't have SP1 installed your hosed.

If you dont have it you should be able to find the media on the news groups. try binsearch

What is the exact error message when you try to install the os err.. upgrade the OS? There should be a reason stated at the bottom of the menu screen that tells you why upgrade is not possible.

The exact error message is:

Upgrade had been disabled

- The upgrade cannot be started. To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are currently installing.

And then the upgrade above the custom (advanced) install option is grayed out.

Make sure your using a Vista Ultimate x64 DVD with SP1. If your HP came installed with SP1 and you try to upgrade using an older Vista Ultimate DVD that doesn't have SP1 installed your hosed.

If you dont have it you should be able to find the media on the news groups. try binsearch

I think ShockerSH nailed your problem exactly. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/pri ... ormat=page

I'm almost 100% sure if you try your upgrade using Windows Vista Ultimate w/sp1 you will have your problem solved.