groovyPost Forums

How To Permanently Delete Emails from Outlook

renrag

Hi,

How is it possible or is it possible to permanently delete e mails that you have deleted from outlook but still keep appearing in the ost file even after you have synchronized..The system is connected to the Microsoft Exchange server and there are some emails which I want removed permanently..Is it something to do with being in cached exchange mode or what.. can this be changed???

Hi Renrag -- A few things you should do.

Deleting something for good when connected to Exchange Server is not a simple task. The reason for this is because a copy of that email is sitting first in the OST database (yes, OST files are databases) and in the Exchange Database.

So, what I would do is this.

First, delete the email. This will put the email into your delete items folder. Now go into the deleted items folder and delete it there as well.

Now you need to delete it from the DUMPSTER on the Exchange folder. Do this by clicking on the Delete Items folder in Outlook again and Click Tools - Recover Deleted Items.

Now all the email in that folder by default will be deleted by the server in 14 days. You can delete it early by selecting it all (including the email you just deleted) and pressing the delete key.

That should take care of the email on Exchange Server. Now to make sure the email is gone from your OST file, the best thing to do is close outlook, find the OST file and delete it. :)

All done.

Hi,

How is it possible or is it possible to permanently delete e mails that you have deleted from outlook but still keep appearing in the ost file even after you have synchronized..The system is connected to the Microsoft Exchange server and there are some emails which I want removed permanently..Is it something to do with being in cached exchange mode or what.. can this be changed???

what version of outlook are you using? Outlook 2010? Outlook 2007?

Hi Renrag -- A few things you should do.

Deleting something for good when connected to Exchange Server is not a simple task. The reason for this is because a copy of that email is sitting first in the OST database (yes, OST files are databases) and in the Exchange Database.

So, what I would do is this.

First, delete the email. This will put the email into your delete items folder. Now go into the deleted items folder and delete it there as well.

Now you need to delete it from the DUMPSTER on the Exchange folder. Do this by clicking on the Delete Items folder in Outlook again and Click Tools - Recover Deleted Items.

Now all the email in that folder by default will be deleted by the server in 14 days. You can delete it early by selecting it all (including the email you just deleted) and pressing the delete key.

That should take care of the email on Exchange Server. Now to make sure the email is gone from your OST file, the best thing to do is close outlook, find the OST file and delete it. :)

All done.

Thx i will give this a try..If i delete the entire ost file will it delete the inbox and sent times from my outlook as well...I have viewed the ost file on Kernel Free OST viewer but obviously it does not allow you to do anything only view what is the ost file...In oither words I only want to delete what is in the deleted items folder permanently not the in box and sent items..Hope that makes sense...

Hi,

Outlook 2007