groovyPost Forums

Wiring the house with Ethernet

Guest Animis

Guest Animis

Hey there, I'm wondering how someone would go about running a cat5 Ethernet cable around their house and then rethreading it. I have a 300 ft cable I'm just not sure how to rethread the connectors on the end.

When I did this I went under the house and drilled a hole into an internal wall then cut a hole in the wall and threaded it up and through the wall. THen I hit home depot and bought a wall jack and connected it up.

That's the easy way. If you have a 2nd level... it can get more complex but not impossible.

If you need help connecting the Cat5 Cable to the Wall Jack connector I recommend getting a cheap wiring kit at Fry's or Home Depot and reading up on wiring up Cat5. It's simple but you will need a punch tool. My recommendation would be to cut off 1 foot of cable to taking it to the store so the guys can show you howto do it. Then when you get home you can repro it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Animis

okay so I figured out how to wire my cables and got everything ready, but now my local home depot doesn't sell drills that are long enough to go through my external wall unless I get like this huge gauged one. I just need a small hole not a tunnel so I'm sorta stuck with that situation and now I have a small hole going half-way through my external wall. I've ordered a special drill bit over the internet but it will still be a few days before it gets here, will keep you posted.

oh and I would do wireless, but I've tried everything short of a WiFi extender (do those even work?? they cost $100 at radio shack) and my house is just not wireless friendly.