groovyPost Forums

How do I block programs like Skype from installing browser extensions in Chrome and Firefox?

I just installed the Skype desktop application and it installed a Chrome extension without even asking me if it could. That really ticks me off.

Is there anyway to block unscrupulous programs from installing plugins/extensions into your browser?

I don't have an answer for ya. I just got hit with this when I installed SKYPE actually myself. I simply uninstalled it after the install. I required me to close Chrome however I didn't need to reboot.

So not a great "answer" but, anyway know I can relate with ya.

• 1 month later...

Some programs on install allow you to pick-and-choose what features you want. Below was the sort of options I got when installing Firefox 4. While the Firefox setup gave me extremely limited choices, other program setups give you way more customization. Not sure what the Skype setup looks like now-a-days.

alt text

alt text

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• Guest Jacques Cubbie
      By Guest Jacques Cubbie
      I like launching Google Docs as a pinned application, like you showed us how to do in this tutorial:
      http://www.groovypost.com/howto/how-to/pin-websites-chrome/
      But I want it to show my starred docs first, not just my HOME folder. There's no settings in Google Docs for that, is there? I looked but can't find one.
    • By Jack
      Hi, I know I could probably google this answer but I'm lazy.
      So, I've got a Google Chrome web page pinned to my task bar, and when you launch it, it clears out all the "junk." But then I zoomed out using CTRL mouse wheel and I can't figure out what is 100% zoom (i.e. default). Anyway to temporarily show the settings menu in a pinned Chrome app?
      http://www.groovypost.com/howto/how-to/pin-websites-chrome/
    • By BarMar
      For the second time, after upgrading my Firefox search engine (now Firefox 6.0) my Google home page doesnot offer the "Search UK sites only" facility. Last time this happened, I found a most helpful reply on a discussion forum and it worked. I cannot remember the site, nor what I did to restore the facility. Please can you help - How do I restore the "search UK sites only" facility on my Google home page?
    • Guest truuba
      By Guest truuba
      hii dlike to add a default term to my google search engine in firefox 4.i do a lot lyric searches. so i would love to add the word "lyric" as default. means if i type "rihanna - umbrella" it searches "rihanna umbrella lyric"is this somehow possible to add a special string to the search engines in firefox?thanks a lot
    • By Hammad
      Lately, my pc is using a lot of resources and when i checked task manager, there were like 10-15 processes of chrome running. I checked and i had like 3-4 tabs opened. Why is this so?
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online