PaigeWaters

What is a Sandy Bridge? Do I need one if I buy a new Dell computer?

Question

2 answers to this question

Well I have no idea. Sounds like a brand of shampoo if you ask me. But here's what I stole from the internet:

Sandy Bridge is the codename for aprocessor microarchitecture developedby Intel. Targeting the 32 nm process,development began in 2005 at Intel'sIsrael Development Center in Haifa.The codename for this architecture wasrenamed from "Gesher" (which means"bridge" in Hebrew).[1] Sandy BridgeProcessors are marketed as 2ndgeneration Intel Core processors.Processors based on this architecturewere announced on January 3, 2011, andfirst released on January 9, 2011. Aninitial preview of a Sandy Bridgeprocessor, with A1 stepping at 2 GHz,was shown at the Intel Developer Forumin 2009.

Hope that helps.

Sandy Bridge is just the chipset which is built into the computer of modern Intel systems. So don't worry about that at all. Just pick the DELL you want and ignore the chipset. Nothing you need to worry yourself with.