groovyPost Forums

What is the difference between Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org self hosted blogs?

Guest pumpkinskin
Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

Okay sorry if this is confusing:

Wordpress is a piece of web software which you can download at Wordpress.org. You then have to upload it to your own web server and install it. This typically requires some knowledge of FTP and mysql databases. Really, though, it's not that hard if you can follow instructions. In fact, web hosts that include cPanel and/or Fantistico can install Wordpress for you automatically. I use A Small Orange for my website and it has these features. I think it costs me $25 a year. I also bought domain names e.g. jackbusch.com which costs me about $8 a year. For this reason, I wouldn't include a self-hosted Wordpress.org blog among your free oPtions

So, wordpress.COM is a free service. Here, wordpress is already Pre-installed fOr you and hosted for free on their web server. No installation required It's just like signing up to use Facebook. You get a URL like jackbusch.wordpress.com and you blog using the same software as you would with a self-hosted wp blog. However, because you are being hosted by wordpress.com you have to submit to some of their rules. For security and anti-spam reasons, you get less control over things like how your blog looks and what kinds of plugins and scripts you can use

Does that make sense? Feel free to comment my answer if you have any follow up questions

• Solution

Jack answered it pretty much 100%. The only thing I would add is:

Wordpress.com -> 100% hosted. All you do is sign-up and start blogging. The downside is you can only install "plugins" which they choose for you AND, you are not allowed to customize your own domain name without paying.

Wordpress.org -> 100% FREE however you become the webmaster and need to:

• Buy a Web Hosting Service
  • Understand things like Apache, MYSQL, Databases etc..
  • I think you get the point...

If this is your first website, you should probably just go with wordpress.com and then subscribe to the newsletter at http://www.groovypost.com where we will soon be writing some how-to articles about how-to start a blog and manage it yourself OR, just use a hosted service.

Jack answered it pretty much 100%. The only thing I would add is:

Wordpress.com -> 100% hosted. All you do is sign-up and start blogging. The downside is you can only install "plugins" which they choose for you AND, you are not allowed to customize your own domain name without paying.

Wordpress.org -> 100% FREE however you become the webmaster and need to:

• Buy a Web Hosting Service
  • Understand things like Apache, MYSQL, Databases etc..
  • I think you get the point...

If this is your first website, you should probably just go with wordpress.com and then subscribe to the newsletter at http://www.groovypost.com where we will soon be writing some how-to articles about how-to start a blog and manage it yourself OR, just use a hosted service.

This is my vote. Nothing more to say really

Guest pumpkinskin

Okay sorry if this is confusing:

Wordpress is a piece of web software which you can download at Wordpress.org. You then have to upload it to your own web server and install it. This typically requires some knowledge of FTP and mysql databases. Really, though, it's not that hard if you can follow instructions. In fact, web hosts that include cPanel and/or Fantistico can install Wordpress for you automatically. I use A Small Orange for my website and it has these features. I think it costs me $25 a year. I also bought domain names e.g. jackbusch.com which costs me about $8 a year. For this reason, I wouldn't include a self-hosted Wordpress.org blog among your free oPtions

So, wordpress.COM is a free service. Here, wordpress is already Pre-installed fOr you and hosted for free on their web server. No installation required It's just like signing up to use Facebook. You get a URL like jackbusch.wordpress.com and you blog using the same software as you would with a self-hosted wp blog. However, because you are being hosted by wordpress.com you have to submit to some of their rules. For security and anti-spam reasons, you get less control over things like how your blog looks and what kinds of plugins and scripts you can use

Does that make sense? Feel free to comment my answer if you have any follow up questions

Thanks Jack

• 1 year later...

Again even though this is an old post can I add that if you sign up to a WP.net or .com you can always buy a domain name and redirect it to the WP website. Try Siteground (my hosting service) they will install within minutes WP, Joomla and many other similar software CMS programs and they are very reasonable and there support is top.