groovyPost Forums

WiFi signal to weak

Here's my problem. Im having problems getting a good WiFi signal. The modem with the accespoint on it are in the livingroom. Im at the second floor, on the attic. Between the accespoint and where im at, is one extra floor, the first floor. The signal that is coming from the accespoint is next to the accespoint (measured with the android speedtest.net app) 22 mbps, at the first floor around 10 mbps and at the attic less then 2 mbps. But i want to game at the attic. And i have no way of pulling some extra cables. Solid concreet floors.

Solution? Anybody?

Well. You have a few options -here we go.

1. Buy a WiFi extender (about $60 USD)

2. Buy a 50 ft. ethernet cord and bring it around through the outside of the house with a staple gun then drill a hole in the wall to bring it inside. (about $10, and 2 hours of time)

3. Install DDWRT on your router to over-write the crap firmware that comes with all routers. This will not only boost your routers coverage, but it will also make it more stable and provide more features. (free)

4. Buy a new router that has better range. (about $200 for a long range one)

You know, there are routers out there you can buy that act as Wifi Repeaters, they take the signal and amplify it again. I did that in one of my old houses. I bout 3 wifi repeaters and broadcast the signal all around my 3200 sqft house. It worked out really nice. Granted, perhaps that explains why I have a twitch in my left eye now..... ;)

You know, there are routers out there you can buy that act as Wifi Repeaters, they take the signal and amplify it again. I did that in one of my old houses. I bout 3 wifi repeaters and broadcast the signal all around my 3200 sqft house. It worked out really nice. Granted, perhaps that explains why I have a twitch in my left eye now..... ;)

A little late Vadim. Looks like he went down the path of " Drill a hole in the wall ".