groovyPost Forums

Google apps premier Ed. synch with Microsoft Outlook 2010

Guest suejes

Guest suejes

As part of our new IT Strategy we plan to move over to Google Apps Premier. For many on my team, who prefer the interface of Microsoft Office, the ability to use Outlook as a skin to google apps' gmail and calendar was what clinched the deal and got them on board regaring Google apps. Since many of them were using old Office versions, we ordered the latest - 2010. I installed mine first and got a real shock when the dialog box popped up saying that google calendar only synchs 2007 etc! We plan to make the move over to Google apps in September -and there is no plan B. I have been in looking at the Google forums, and see that this synch is still an outstanding issue after a year which is not very comforting - (freaking on the inside here). So I was wondering if anyone had an idea when 2010 will be supported? Any dates?

Thanks

Oh no.... I have to be honest, I've only played with Google Apps with Microsoft Outlook 2007. I've not yet had time to install it using Outlook 2010.

I'll try to find some time today and do some testing. Will try it out asap!

BTW - is outlook a requirement for your company rather than just using the Web interface?

Guest suejes

Thanks for looking into this for me - really appreciate it. Most of my team are used to the outlook interface, and as this IT Strategy of ours (going cloud) requires them to adapt to range of new applications, the idea of being able to continue to use an interface that was somewhat familiar, was not only a comfort to them, but got them ultimately behind and supporting the new strategy. I know we should have looked into this, but we were purchasing new hardware, so we needed to upgrade our version of Office (and therefore it made sense to chose the latest version), and I thought that as Google is always ahead of the pack, Outlook 2010 would of course be supported - I was so wrong :oops:

Many thanks

Sue

Guest suejes

Sorry didn't answer your question - It's not a requirement per say - but being able to integrate with Outlook 2010 will make the move from the old to the new strategy a lot easier - getting less complaints is always a good thing :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest suejes

Just an update:

I came across two ways on the internet on how to get Google Calendar to sync with Outlook 2010. The first involved using a previous released sync by Google in November 2010, and the other involved making a small change to the Outlook .exe file. Because this is a hack to the file, I didn't want to post the link as this isn't my site . I did however also come across this add-in (paid) to Outlook which is "compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista 32/64 bit, Windows 7 32/64 bit, Outlook 2002, 2003, 2007 and Outlook 2010 32/64 bit".

http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/index.shtml

and this: which enables you to " Share and Sync Outlook Calendar and Contacts folders with Google Calendar™ service"

http://www.sync2.com/

Just an update:

I came across two ways on the internet on how to get Google Calendar to sync with Outlook 2010. The first involved using a previous released sync by Google in November 2010, and the other involved making a small change to the Outlook .exe file. Because this is a hack to the file, I didn't want to post the link as this isn't my site . I did however also come across this add-in (paid) to Outlook which is "compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista 32/64 bit, Windows 7 32/64 bit, Outlook 2002, 2003, 2007 and Outlook 2010 32/64 bit".

http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/index.shtml

and this: which enables you to " Share and Sync Outlook Calendar and Contacts folders with Google Calendar™ service"

http://www.sync2.com/

Thanks for the update Suejes. I've just been slammed and haven't had a chance to upgrade my Google Apps FREE edition to Premier to do the testing...

If you want to post the links you mentioned, go ahead. I would be curious to check them out.

What solution are you guys going to end up with?

Guest suejes

Hi McGroove

Here comes the link with the two methods explained: http://blog.sublogic.com/2010/03/08/get ... look-2010/

These methods seem only to work for the 32 bit version. I couldn't get the first method working, but I had better luck with the second :wink: - Backing up .exe file before I made the change, just in case I needed to reinstall it later. We are going from Standard version to Premier version of Google at the end of August, so I have only tested this in the Standard version so far and with a regular Google account calendar - both worked fine, so I figure it will do the trick with Premier too (Hope I won't be eating my words later :lol: ) I will leave a follow-up post here when we have moved over to Premier and I have tested it.

For the rest of my team, we may still go with one of the third party syncs.

Guest suejes

Hi Vadim

The calendar part syncs alright, (just added an event in Outlook and it showed up in my apps standard acount). However because we need our contacts to sync too, we will be going over to to Premier.

Hi McGroove

Here comes the link with the two methods explained: http://blog.sublogic.com/2010/03/08/get ... look-2010/

These methods seem only to work for the 32 bit version. I couldn't get the first method working, but I had better luck with the second :wink: - Backing up .exe file before I made the change, just in case I needed to reinstall it later. We are going from Standard version to Premier version of Google at the end of August, so I have only tested this in the Standard version so far and with a regular Google account calendar - both worked fine, so I figure it will do the trick with Premier too (Hope I won't be eating my words later :lol: ) I will leave a follow-up post here when we have moved over to Premier and I have tested it.

For the rest of my team, we may still go with one of the third party syncs.

LOL, that's a whole lot of stuff just to get it working! Cheers to the guy who made this tutorial BTW. I'm gonna try this as soon as I get some more free time.............