groovyPost Forums

MediaTemple Hosting Anyone?

shockersh

I've not used it however, I've been looking at it for a few months now.... I like that it's sitting in the middle of the US as well.

Currently, most of groovyPost is hosted in the midwest (Illinois). I figured being that we don't have a CDN, sitting in the middle of the US would give us the best performance. So far, it's been pretty good.

Keep us updated if you do jump over to mediatemple.

• 1 month later...
I've not used it however, I've been looking at it for a few months now.... I like that it's sitting in the middle of the US as well.

Currently, most of groovyPost is hosted in the midwest (Illinois). I figured being that we don't have a CDN, sitting in the middle of the US would give us the best performance. So far, it's been pretty good.

Keep us updated if you do jump over to mediatemple.

Do you really think it matters where you host your site in the US to get the best performance? East Coast Vs. West Coast?

• 5 months later...

I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to open it back up a little, because obviously hosting is one of the most important aspects of your website. MediaTemple has been around for quite a while, and they've got some great packages. I've been using them for myself and have recommended them for some of my clients over the years.

The first question is cost, they do typically cost slightly more than your average host. For example their Grid Server (gs) is $20/mo, for what you get it's not too bad considering the whole grid system is pretty new and in a lot of ways super groovy :wink:. If you're looking for Virtual Dedicated it's all pretty close to it's competition, I'd say slightly higher.

Second, would be their support. Honestly I haven't asked for a lot from them over the past 3 or so years - but when I have, I've found their support to be a tad higher than mediocre. They do have an extensive knowledge base with tons of great articles, but when you can't find what you need there, sometimes the support can take longer than you'd like to get an answer, and typically I haven't got a satisfactory answer on the first go around.

Summery of (MT): I think (MT) had a really good run at not having any issues, and they got a lot of attention for that. So many small to mid-sized bloggers started using them with great success. Sadly over the past year especially they've gone slightly down hill in my mind. This year alone I've seen them face a lot of latency issues, down time, and virus attacks specifically targeted at (MT) clients.

Not saying they're a horrible company, like I said I use them, however sometimes I wonder if their pretty website and beautiful advertising isn't worth the issues I've seen especially when the cost might not be the cheapest around. All in all I'd give them a 75% to maybe 80% good rating, however I have a client or two that wouldn't give them that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...