groovyPost Forums

Gadgets won't download and install

Guest Hultster

Guest Hultster

I'm sure there's an easy explanation for why a gadget can't be fully downloaded and installed.

Following the Groovy Post how to install gadgets: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-7/how-to-install-new-gadgets-with-windows-7/

Everything works fine and as expected until after clicking the Install button in the pop up window shown in Step 4 with title "Please Read Carefully". Once clicking install, nothing happens. The file download security warning window shown in Step 5 asking to "Open", "Save", or "Cancel" never appears.

I assume that this is being blocked by IE8, Windows Firewall, or Mcafee, or something else but not sure if this is true and which one needs to be adjusted as no error or warning appears anywhere in the typical places near the IE8 menu bar or elsewehere . Any ideas?

Thanks!

Guest Hultster

Thanks for the advice.

I tried turning off UAC and that didn't seem to make a difference.

Also tried temporarily disabling Mcafee Security Center and checking that live.com wasn't blocking cookies in case that was it. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

...Everything works fine and as expected until after clicking the Install button in the pop up window shown in Step 4 with title "Please Read Carefully". Once clicking install, nothing happens. The file download security warning window shown in Step 5 asking to "Open", "Save", or "Cancel" never appears...

This is definitely a browser issue. Windows 7 or the gadgets shouldn't be causing any problem downling the .gadget file just like with any other file.

An add-on could be causing this problem.

Try running iE8 without add-ons.

1. Click Start
  2. Search for Internet Explorer
  3. Launch Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

ie8-wont-download1.png

If that doesn't work. Try using Firefox to download it instead.

If even Firefox won't work, then it is most likely something with Mcafee interfering with your browser. Personally I can't stand Mcafee or Norton, they both cause more problems then they are worth.

I would uninstall Mcafee and pick up Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

Let me know if this helps! There might be a few other things to try but it's likely the above issues.