groovyPost Forums

Defrag under Win 7

Guest Cindy

Hi gang - newbie here so please don't flame a geek grrl!

MrG has been very kind helping me out with the image restore functionality on his main pages, but rather than tie him up (as much as I am sure he'd like me to!) I was wondering if you all use the new Win7 defrag or do you use IObit's free offering, or any other product?

Thanks in advance, Cindy

Hi Cindy! Nice to see a geeky new face around here.

Some time ago the groovy guys wrote an article called Improve Windows Performance by Defragmenting your Hard Drives

The Windows 7 defragmenter works, but it is slower and lacks some key features such as MFT defragmenting. However it should be enough to match any of your needs unless you are a hard-core gamer or a video editor, in that case you'll want to go for a performance third party defragger.

I have to completely agree with the third party Defrag apps they have listed, although it needs a few updates.

JKdefrag is now MyDefrag - It's still free and still one of the best

O&O 12 has been released, and now I would recommend it over DiskKeeper anyday. I would say it is the best defragmenter on the market bar none. http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/prod ... index.html

Before you pay full price though look for some coupons, the other day it was only $20 through an email code they sent me.

DiskKeeper used to be king but it lost some of it's sparkle with Windows 7.

• 5 months later...
Well....i use NOD32 and its working well and is updating,defraging,kiling viruses.....and etc.Try it,it is very good.My friend and sow am I work on Win7 and he have Avast but I dont LIke it much.But try them Both

@Kumanina - NOD32 and Avast are antivirus programs that have NOTHING to do with defragmentation.

Although it isn't the best decision, using the built-in defragger works fine:

1. Go to the Start Menu.

2. Select "All Programs"

3. Choose "Accessories"

4. Choose "System Tools"

5. Open "Disk Defragmenter"

In a few steps you should be able to begin the defragmentation process. Note - On larger hard drives with lots of data, a deep defragmentation may take up more than 4 hours.

Guest JoelPetersenIT

I have scheduled my defrag to begin at the end of every week, (Using the built-in Win 7 defrag)

would 3rd party defrag programs improve my chances of compacting more files and getting more space????

I have scheduled my defrag to begin at the end of every week, (Using the built-in Win 7 defrag)

would 3rd party defrag programs improve my chances of compacting more files and getting more space????

Probably not no. The windows 7 defrag is good enough. Plus, defrag does not compress files. What it does is take applications and data which have been fragmented accross a hard drive and puts them back together so the hard drive can read the data or run the app more quickly.

Make sense?

Just to point out - defragging will soon come to an end, since we'll slowly start moving to SSD's (mostly as their capacity increases). And again, if you own an SSD do not, and I mean DO NOT try to defrag it. Defragging it will decrease it's lifespan and may even cause read/write errors. Untill then, let's just stay with HDD's - we won't be getting 1TB on anything else! :D

Guest JoelPetersenIT

Probably not no. The windows 7 defrag is good enough. Plus, defrag does not compress files. What it does is take applications and data which have been fragmented accross a hard drive and puts them back together so the hard drive can read the data or run the app more quickly.

Make sense?

Perfect Sense..... Thanks