groovyPost Forums

The two ''shift''-keys refuse to give me capitals

Good morning Austin,I am the happy owner of a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC [WINDOWS 7]But since a week now I am not very happy anymore ...The two [02]''shift''-keys refuse to give me capitals.I took, by e-mail, contact with a friend [in Mali] to help me in order to find a solution for this problem.He wrote me about your Key Tweak. I downloaded the program, but I did not arrive to work efficiently with it in order to activate/restore the 2 keys. I think my age [77] is the real handicap ... ;-]

Please, you can help me to become again the happy [old] man, as before, in showing me, step by step, how to use efficiently your so very ingenious program.

I thank you already for your kind understanding.Best wishes,

Johan, living on the border of the sea in Sassandra (Ivory-Coast]

• 1 month later...

This is probably a hardware fault. I would suggest plugging in an external keyboard to see if that works. You can of course go to the control panel>keyboard>Hardware and see if the device is working properly. One other thing. If you are using Skype disable the hotkeys as they use the shift keys. Also check you have the language set for English.(United States or UK). Hope this helps

This is probably a hardware fault. I would suggest plugging in an external keyboard to see if that works. You can of course go to the control panel>keyboard>Hardware and see if the device is working properly. One other thing. If you are using Skype disable the hotkeys as they use the shift keys. Also check you have the language set for English.(United States or UK). Hope this helps

Agreed

It sounds like something is broken with the keyboard.

How can both the shift keys are broken.I think it has something to do with the software.Checking the keyboard on another system will clear the doubts.

Hi FlashFiantHow can he check the keyboard on another computer...It's a Notebook. I suggested he check with an external keyboard so that a hardware fault can be eliminated. That's an easy thing to do . It probably has something to do with the keyboard configuration and I have made further suggestions for checking this. I have looked this model up and it is prone to keyboard problems, but as you say having the two keys not working does point to configuration problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Bob and FlasFiant, with excuses first for my late reply; these with my android Samsung Notebook 10.1 It is the only way for the moment ... ! The internet connection, here in east-Ivory Coast is still very very slow, thus difficult. I hope to be able to try your suggestions - thank you so much! - on my notebook HP as soon as possible in order to give you finally(!) the result of your so kind advices. I hope it will be a positive one ;). Sincerely yours, Johan Wachters. ( johanwachters@gmail.com )