groovyPost Forums

Is drag and drop the only way to copy pictures from Picasa 3

I want to copy all the pictures in one of my Picasa 3 albums onto removable media in order to share them with another person.

I tried the export picture to folder option but it only exported the portion of the picture with the persons face on it.

The copy and paste functions on the edit menu don't work, neither do the Keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste.

Drag and drop on selected images does work but it seems odd that this is the only way to copy pictures.

I have tried Picasa 3 on 2 different machines and its the same on both and I only use Picasa offline, I don't use web albums.

So if anyone knows of other ways to copy my pictures directly from Picasa 3 I would be grateful to hear from you

As an old command line guy, the easiest way for me to accomplish what you are attempting is to open a command line window (start, all programs, accessories, command prompt), change directories (folders) using the cd command (e.g., cd c:mypicswhatever) so that you are in the directory containing the pics you want to copy. Then, use the copy or xcopy command to copy the pics. For example, suppose I wanted to copy all the pics in folder c:mypics2012-10-21 to a folder on a thumb drive called 2012-10-21. I would make a directory on the thumb drive by entering the command from the command line md g:2012-10-21 (assuming g: is the designation for your thumb drive). You could then enter this command: copy *.jpg g:2012-10-21 and all files ending in jpg would be copied to the thumb drive. (As a minor aside, depending on your operating system, you may have to put the directory/folder name in quotes since it is more than 8 characters - an old DOS convention. Your commands would then be cd, md, or copy g:"2012-10-21".) To finish the exercise, enter exit on the command line. Good luck.

As an old command line guy, the easiest way for me to accomplish what you are attempting is to open a command line window (start, all programs, accessories, command prompt), change directories (folders) using the cd command (e.g., cd c:mypicswhatever) so that you are in the directory containing the pics you want to copy. Then, use the copy or xcopy command to copy the pics. For example, suppose I wanted to copy all the pics in folder c:mypics2012-10-21 to a folder on a thumb drive called 2012-10-21. I would make a directory on the thumb drive by entering the command from the command line md g:2012-10-21 (assuming g: is the designation for your thumb drive). You could then enter this command: copy *.jpg g:2012-10-21 and all files ending in jpg would be copied to the thumb drive. (As a minor aside, depending on your operating system, you may have to put the directory/folder name in quotes since it is more than 8 characters - an old DOS convention. Your commands would then be cd, md, or copy g:"2012-10-21".) To finish the exercise, enter exit on the command line. Good luck.

By the way, the answer editor left out the backslash I put in the commands. There should be one between the c: and the mypics in line three and one before whatever in the same command in line three. Also, in line four between the c: and the mypics and between the mypics and the 2012-10-21. Also on line six between the g: and the 2012, and on line seven between the g: and the 2012. Finally, in the next-to-last line between the g: and the "2012. Who knew the editor would leave out the backslashes, eh?

Thanks @CAtransplant but I am wanting to copy the pictures directly from Picasa. The reason for this is that they are not all stored in the same folder on my hard drive.

By dragging and dropping them from Picasa I can copy all of them in one go regardless of where they are stored. I just thought there would be other ways of doing this directly from Picasa.

I realise that I can also use tags to sort the desired images directly in windows then copy and paste them but as I said I was just looking for other ways to accomplish this directly from Picasa.

Thanks

Thanks @CAtransplant but I am wanting to copy the pictures directly from Picasa. The reason for this is that they are not all stored in the same folder on my hard drive.

By dragging and dropping them from Picasa I can copy all of them in one go regardless of where they are stored. I just thought there would be other ways of doing this directly from Picasa.

I realise that I can also use tags to sort the desired images directly in windows then copy and paste them but as I said I was just looking for other ways to accomplish this directly from Picasa.

Thanks