groovyPost Forums

Cloudflare.com review -- anyone have feedback?

shockersh

I'm hosting several sites, phpbb forums and wordpress blogs for work and play. I've been looking at Cloudflare for protection of the site and to speed it up.

Steve -- I see you just moved your forum to a subdomain and now you're using cloudflare. Would love to hear what you think of it as I'm thinking the same thing. Are you going to use it on all your sites or just your forum?

Overall, what do you think for Cloudflare? First impressions?

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, not bad. Appears to be filtering probably 50% of the spam that was hitting the site. Unfortunately, 50% of several hundred of spammers registering a day is still painful.... Will need to look into more options at this point. I also don't like how I cannot set specific policy for a single domain. All domains are impacted by the same policy you set..... not good.

• 2 weeks later...
All domains are impacted by the same policy you set..... not good.

I think what you meant to say was Cloudflare doesn't allow you to set a policy at this time for SUB domains. In other words, if you have a few subdomains like forum.groovypost.com or www.groovypost.com, they will all get the same policy from a security, caching, and blocking standpoint.

I really like the service but yeah, you need to know what you are doing. I enable it for most of the blogs I build for people. It's simple and free and provides pretty good services.

I've found the hosted DNS is pretty good. Allows you to manage all your DNS needs in a hosted environment so for me, the pro's are pretty strong. I have yet to have a blog break from the service's various performance settings as well -- caching, CDN, minify etc....