groovyPost Forums

How to port my blog to my nas

Hmm... well your going to have 2 problems.

First, your home "NAS" needs to have a web server on it. Does it? If it does do you know which web server it is running? Is it Apache? Because for wordpress you will need Apache for all the ModRewrite commands in the .htaccess files etc... (among other things).

After you get that sorted out your also going to need a MYSQL server for your database. I'm almost positive you dont have a MYSQL server on your NAS so you will need to set that up on your local PC or server if you have one.

Once your have your MYSQL server and APACHE server figured out, your site will be up and running however only on your local LAN and not on the internet. To solve that you will need to update the DNS records for your website address - wiggersrobert.wordpress.com and point it at your IP address for your home internet connection. Then on your home firewall you need to point all HTTP or PORT 80 TCP traffic to the address of the APACHE server your hosting.

Once again, more problems. I'm going to guess you dont have a STATIC IP so your IP address will be changing from time to time so each time your home internet IP changes, you will need to go back in and update your DNS records for that new IP.

Better solution.... Just host your blog on bluehost.com or dreamhost.com or nexcess.net or myhosting.com. Should only cost you $5 per month. :)

WebServer: Check (build in, thank you Synology)

MySQL: Check (Again, thank you Synology)

PHPMyADMIN: Check (Again, thank you Synology)

Moving to a third party provider: YES!!!!

Thanks for the reply Shockers. But Ive talked to a good friend that works for www.squal.nl and yes im moving to a provider for les then 30 euro's per year. 200 mb space, but ill be hosting my photo's somewhere else. So that shouldnt be a problem.

I only need to move my current blog to the new provider, but that wont be a problem I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I have exported my blog from wiggersrobert.wordpress.com to a xml file and mailed that to my new host www.123-hwebost.nl for just 25 euro's first, and after that 15 euro per year.

I could do it on my nas, but apparently, the DS-110j is just a "junior" model and isnt realy build for speed. So trying to edit your blog is to much of a hassle. And then the safety would be a problem to. Im not realy in to securing a site on a server so i took the easy way and sound a host to do it for me. 200 mb webspace and 1gig of traffic. And upgrading goes with a mouseclick.

I also found several good hosts in America, but being able to call my host during normal Dutch working hours works better for me then waiting a day for a reply. Yes I pay a bit more, but its worth it in my eyes.

Wanna check it out?? http://www.wiggersrobert.nl

I also found several good hosts in America, but being able to call my host during normal Dutch working hours works better for me then waiting a day for a reply. Yes I pay a bit more, but its worth it in my eyes.

Wanna check it out?? http://www.wiggersrobert.nl

Agreed! Having reverse support hours sucks. Trust me, I know from experience. VPS.net....

btw - nice blog. I like that theme!

Thanks @Shockers :-) Its just a standard theme, but I like it a lot. I tried several other themes, but this one with the footer and the two columms goes best for me.

I need to figure out a lot of things yet. Because there is a whole world of difference between a .com and a .org wordpress account. When you have a .com account everthing is simple and smooth and taken care of for you, like keeping track of stats. But with a .org blog you have to do it all yourself. Good site of that is that you can do it however you want. The freedom. Its like having a fresh sheet of paper to start with. And the ready theme is just a start. Now I have to get busy with it. But first of all i need to lear how to code. I cant do that. So if i want to change the theme, or make a new one, i have to start from scratch.