groovyPost Forums

people pane

Guest janef

I discovered that people receiving emails from me can see my information in a thing called a people pane. It shows every email I have sent to anyone in the past including attachments.

CORRECTION after a few hours of discovery - the people pane only show emails received from the sender that have not yet been deleted from the receiver's inbox. It took three emails between myself and a person I found that also has the people pane option to figure this out.

Yes, those emails can be opened and read by the receiver but they are only the ones the receiver previously got from me. Whew!

Discovery can be fun but at times, needing to do the discovery can be very upsetting, especially when the actual parameters are not fully understood.

Edited by janef

Yes, those emails can be opened and read by the receiver but they are only the ones the receiver previously got from me. Whew!

Discovery can be fun but at times, needing to do the discovery can be very upsetting, especially when the actual parameters are not fully understood.

Whew is right lol - At first I was like uh oh... I think Jane has a Virus! hehehe

Yeah the People Pane is Kinda like Xobni only built right into Outlook 2010. It does a lot of things especially if your on a Corporate network and the email server / outlook client can access services like Active Directory and Sharepoint. At that point the People Pane will show previous emails between the 2 of you, Meetings, Text Messages (if you have corporate chat servers - LYNC Server) and even Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIN message if you have the Social plugins installed from Microsoft.

So yeah, plenty of new stuff in the Outlook 2010 People Pane. Personally I removed it from my Outlook Client since it takes up so much room but other people like it.. If you want to get rid of it, just search the site here. I think they wrote a how-to on it a long time ago.