groovyPost Forums

Windows Virtual PC - XP MODE

shockersh

Question before I start playing with this.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

before I start playing with this now that it's RTM can someone answer a few questions for me.

1 - The XP mode is nothing more than a free Windows XP image right?

2 - Windows Virtual PC is the name of the product however it's just a new version of Virtual PC for windows 7 right?

3 - Along with Question #1 - if it's just an XP image, you still need to patch it and keep it updated etc... just like any other windows xp image right?

thoughts? any pointers?

Shocker you are definitely right on all of those assumptions.

I downloaded it and was testing it out myself, unfortunately I was unable to get it to load inside of a virtual Windows 7 VHD. I have yet to test it on a primary Windows 7 system, but from what I've read about it is the same thing as Virtual PC 2007 but runs much better.

It did puzzle me though why they split the download into 3 separate parts.

1 - The XP mode is nothing more than a free Windows XP image right?

Like groovyDexter said, YUP. Your exactly right. As long as your using the Windows XP Mode pre-built image from Microsoft, it's a 100% free download. You can even pre-package it with your windows 7 deployment and roll it out with windows 7 if you wish (however it's not recommended due to the size. Uncompressed, the VHD file of the XP image is about a GIG. Compressed, it's 500MB.

2 - Windows Virtual PC is the name of the product however it's just a new version of Virtual PC for windows 7 right?

Right again. It's basically the latest version of the Virtual PC Product from Microsoft however like all things Microsoft, they changed the name again with the release of Windows 7. My guess is of the 90,000+ employees at Microsoft, a few thousand of them must work in Marketing so if they don't find work to do (like change names of products ever 6 months) they would run out of work and start getting laid off.... 8)

Pretty smart if you ask me (if your in the Marketing dept. that is....)

3 - Along with Question #1 - if it's just an XP image, you still need to patch it and keep it updated etc... just like any other windows xp image right?

Right again. Not only do you still need to keep it patched with the latest Microsoft software but you also need to keep it up and running with the latest Anti-Virus software and other software updates like Adobe and any other 3rd party software installed on the Virtual Machine.

This is also a potential GOTCHA for Corporations. It also needs to be a member of the domain in most cases to get those automated patches and virus definitions etc... so that means more records in Active Directory, DNS, IP Addresses etc.. Then we get into Licenses. If you installed a piece of software on it like McAfee or Symantec (common in the corporate world) now you will probably need to get another CAL for that virtual machine as well. Ouch, that's gonna hurt the IT pocket book....

Microsoft has already discussed some of these issues at the first link below however, what they say is "3rd Party Software companies are looking into the licensing issues around XP MODE". When it comes right down to it however, you should plan on spending cash on the CAL's for those Virtual Machines running in XP mode.... Hmm... I wonder if Microsoft is going to charge for SCCM Licenses for the XP MODE Virtual Machine if you want to use SCCM for deploying updates to Adobe and Security patches (if you don't use WSUS???). Hmm.... That could get expensive. :)

Deploying Windows XP Mode

It's a good read I reccomend. Also this download -

Installation instructions and Release Notes for Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode

Shocker you are definitely right on all of those assumptions.

I downloaded it and was testing it out myself, unfortunately I was unable to get it to load inside of a virtual Windows 7 VHD. I have yet to test it on a primary Windows 7 system, but from what I've read about it is the same thing as Virtual PC 2007 but runs much better.

It did puzzle me though why they split the download into 3 separate parts.

3 downloads?

You should be able to just hit this page:

Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode Download

Choose your OS then download and install the XP Mode Image (It's just a compressed .VHD file of a Windows XP SP3 Machine) then Download and install the Windows Virtual PC software.

Should be just the 2 downloads.

• 1 year later...
Guest cyberience

My question is related.

I have created a XP Mode immage in Windows 7.

Can this image be used in Virtual PC 2007?

I want to use the image on a laptop running Vista, and dont have a licence to iinstall another Windows 7..

Regards