jshepp

What device converts two 3.5 mm inputs to one 3.5 mm output?

Question

I'm looking for a device that essentially takes 3.5 mm audio input from two devices (two males) and converts them into one 3.5 mm audio output (one female). I'm not even aware if such a device exists, but if it does, could someone please tell me what it is. Links are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

5 answers to this question

I don't own one but I do believe that's what it does. However, I think it puts one source into L channel and the other into R. So if you hook it up to a stereo speaker set, you will get all of one source out of one channel and all of the other source out of the other. I don't know if that's what you were hoping for. You could always get a stereo to monitor adapter as well.

There are many ways of doing this and it depends on what leads or connections are available. You could even build one yourself with three 3.5mm panel mounting sockets in a small box with a bit of soldering. There is no audio deterioration using these leads. There are dozens of combinations using various plugs and sockets.

I hope that is what you are talking about.

The first link is kinda what I thought I needed, but I wasn't 100% certain. So it'll take two separate audio sources and merge them to one audio output?

Yeah, I didn't really want it to split one source into the L and the other to the R. Looks like a simple mixer is my best bet. Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciated it!