groovyPost Forums

Landline calls (without landline service) forwarded to iPhone in order to let visitors into building...

I apologise in advance if this has already been addressed: Say my bloke comes to visit me in my apartment building, he enters a code that is sent to me via the land-line phone jacks in my abode. I don't have nor need a land-line phone service, just any phone that can connect to the wall jacks, and then I pick up, depress a number in order to let whomever into the building. OK? So I want it so that when someone buzzes my room number, it get auto-forwarded to my iPhone4 where I can answer and let them in accordingly. I'd assume the physical set up would be wall jack to phone line, into some type of coverting/routing device that can transmit voice and DMFT tones via wifi/3G network to my iPhone, iphone rings, answer speak with visitor touch whatever number sequence to unlock building door, FINI.

Possible? Any thoughts, any-one. Highly appreciated.

This could end up being complicated process. You may have to work with building management to install a new door code system. Then again, it could be as simple as picking up a device for about $80.

You might be able to get by using a Bluetooth phone gateway like this one:http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Technologies-BT-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B00135XU7Q

Of course there may be a WiFi alternative or something else. If I understand correctly you're just trying to take a signal coming into your landline and convert it to a digital signal going to your iPhone?

In that case another good option is getting a phone set with Link-to-cell technology, like this one:http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG7642M-Bluetooth-Cordless-Answering/dp/B004N4MH1Y