groovyPost Forums

vundo.gen getting rid of it

Guest crazypainter

Guest crazypainter

vundo.gen seems to have invaded my friend's computer (running vista) and we can't get rid of it. mcafee appears to have found it and dealt with it, but the mcafee notification message appears each time he starts his computer. also, the adware continues to popup. in desperation he ran windows defender, which also found the threat and reported that it was destroyed, but then it got messed up : says 0x800106.ba has a problem. so then we tried to uninstall defender and re-install it. can't find it listed in the control panel screen where you can remove programs. any ideas and suggestions would be welcome. he wants to avoid paying $90 to mcafee's crew if possible.

Norton apparently has a specific removal tool here:

http://www.symantec.com/security_respon ... 10-3747-99

You can grab that and give it a shot.

I would also suggest Spybot Search and Destroy. It's the spyware software I personally use and prefer over other Malware Removal Tools.

In regards to enabling/disabling Windows Defender, it's not a tool that you install in the Add/Remove programs. Launch it by:

1 - Click Windows Start Button

2 - Type Defender

3 - Click Windows Defender when it comes up in Search Window

4 - Click Tools -> Options

5 - Scroll down to the bottom and under Administrator Options section, Check box or uncheck box "Use Windows Defender" to enable or disable windows defender.

This article here: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... oft-vista/ gives the step by step with screenshots.

Let us know your progress!