groovyPost Forums

Windows 7 RC VERY NICE

shockersh

Yes indeed. Windows 7 RC is very nice. I'm having a lot of fun playing with the VHD options. Just built a few test systems building the OS inside a VHD file on my physical machine. Very groovy indeed!

I'm also diggin the Taskbar peek and Window management... very cool stuff!

Almost 3 articles already written on these so stay tuned!

What's VHD? Do you need Aero to get peek to work?

VHD is the Microsoft format for "Virtual Hard Drive". It's the drive format used by the Microsoft family of Virtual Servers (Hyper-V, Virtual Server 2005 and Virtual PC) for it's Virtual Drives.

The beauty about Windows 7 (and Windows Server 2008 R2) supporting .VHD files Nativity is you can build Windows 7 installs inside of a VHD file and move it across your Virtual Server environment to your Physical machine environment. So P2V and V2P just because a LOT easier. Very good stuff.

2nd question Regarding Aero Peek - Yes, Peek will not fully function without the Aero theme enabled. Granted, you can still mouse hover over the taskbar applications that are stacked and it will display the sessions to choose from but when you hover over the session it will not be displayed etc....

So hurry and enable Aero. ;)