groovyPost Forums

How to build a PC?

Go to solution Solved by dave1496926426,

First, is it even worth looking into building my own PC, especially for a person who has never done it before (aka me)?

My main issue is I'm not sure what components to select. There's a plethora of information out on the internet... just a bit too much information to wrap my head around. So far, I'm just 'looking' into the idea. I haven't bought anything. I want to build a gaming PC around the $1,500 mark. The more I look into the subject, the more deterred I get. It seems that it's just much simpler to just purchase one.

• Solution

Its much simpler to buy one and in the UK at least it doesn't save you any cash by building your own in fact when you consider the operating system its usually more expensive to build your own. You also get a warranty with one that you buy so you know it will work correctly and do what you need it to. If the one you build doesn't work properly it would be down to you to sort it out.

Another thing is that you can look at reviews of computers before you buy one to make sure its up to the job. You might be able to review the separate components that you intend to use in your home built pc but this doesn't tell you how well they will work together.

More expensive

More hassle

Uncertainty of it working correctly

No warranty

Unless its something that you want to do as a hobby I don't see the point of building your own.

Its much simpler to buy one and in the UK at least it doesn't save you any cash by building your own in fact when you consider the operating system its usually more expensive to build your own. You also get a warranty with one that you buy so you know it will work correctly and do what you need it to. If the one you build doesn't work properly it would be down to you to sort it out.

Another thing is that you can look at reviews of computers before you buy one to make sure its up to the job. You might be able to review the separate components that you intend to use in your home built pc but this doesn't tell you how well they will work together.

More expensive

More hassle

Uncertainty of it working correctly

No warranty

Unless its something that you want to do as a hobby I don't see the point of building your own.

I agree with Dave.Buying a new system is the wiser choice for so many reasons.Use research when deciding on a computer.$1500 ought to buy you an awesome gaming rig,plus with the upgrades you can add your machine can be even better.Good luck on your search.

I agree with Dave, but with one caveat; if you're interested in learning, building a cheap one is a great experience. There's no way that I would recommend that a first time builder sink that much money into a decent gaming rig to learn how to build one... you could probably piece a halfway decent one together one for $350 or $400 (if you're not adverse to using Linux as an O/S - the price of Windows alone kicks the price up substantially). A good friend to help you with purchasing decisions (which motherboard, which drives, etc.) is very helpful too.

Either way - good luck, and have fun with it!

Heh, it's funny how whenever I ask this question to people I know, they always recommend a good friend that know their shit about computers. Sadly, I don't actually have any friends with those characteristics. Just made me chuckle.

You do bring up a good point though. I guess I could always tinker with an old computer or just not invest a whole lot until I have much more confidence and knowledge in the matter. Thanks.

I built my own several years ago from Tiger Direct. They had a sale on a group of parts that all worked together & it all went well & operated OK with the win XP I bought. I replaced it last year because I wanted to have Win-7 Op Sys. I bought a new discounted HP from Walmart for $400. I am very happy with both decisions. I am not a gamer so I didn’t need the biggest & best for my casual usage. Newegg has some good deals too. It was very easy to build just follow the instructions faithfully!!

First, is it even worth looking into building my own PC, especially for a person who has never done it before (aka me)?

My main issue is I'm not sure what components to select. There's a plethora of information out on the internet... just a bit too much information to wrap my head around. So far, I'm just 'looking' into the idea. I haven't bought anything. I want to build a gaming PC around the $1,500 mark. The more I look into the subject, the more deterred I get. It seems that it's just much simpler to just purchase one.

I used to build all my own systems but anymore, you can buy a piece of hardware for about the same price if not less.

Just grab a DELL or HP and you should be just fine.