groovyPost Forums

CD/ROM Game compatability

Picked up these two simulation games on CD/ROM,one's called "Air Warrior",and the other is called "Combat Air Patrol".Air Warrior is from 1996 and was designed to run on an IBM 486 system.Combat Air Patol is from 1995 and also was designed to run on IBM.KESMAI Corp. and GT Interactive,respectively.Are these compatible with Windows 7?

You never know until you try them. Throw em in and give em a roll!

My guess is you will probably be fine. Report back here if you need help however.

Tried them straight out of the box,no luck.Apparently they aren't compatible with any of the Windows operating systems.They were made when "DOS"was the mainstream operating system.I discovered "DOSbox",an emulator program used for games designed for dos.It's quite complicated(unless your familiar with the dos operating system used before windows). Is there an easy way to configure DOSbox?

• 4 weeks later...

You never know until you try them. Throw em in and give em a roll!

My guess is you will probably be fine. Report back here if you need help however.

DOSBox is a really simple solution and I congratulate you on trying it out.Check out our tutorial on DOSBox here:http://www.groovypost.com/howto/freeware/friday-fun-how-to-run-dos-programs-or-games-from-windows-7-vista/

If you want to get even more advanced, you should try installing a real MS-DOS on something like VMWare. It will be way more time consuming but the chances of old games running correctly are WAY higher.