groovyPost Forums

Hyper-V on Laptop - Dissapointed

alexmvp

So,

I installed Windows Server 2008 on my Notebook and it's running lightning fast. You can find the steps here:

I found the steps here: http://blogs.msdn.com/vijaysk/archive/2 ... op-os.aspx

I decided to install Hyper-V since I have the Intel VT proc in it and I have 4 gigs of ram. After I installed Hyper-V even without any Guest systems man did my Notebook slow down. Everything from Office to Firefox are just REALLY REALLY sluggish. I uninstalled Hyper-V Role and tadaa, fast again.

Lame...

Anyone else get this to work well on a notebook?

• 2 weeks later...

My philosophy has always been:

If you want a phone, buy a phone

If you want a camera, buy a camera

If you want a video camera, buy a video camera

If you want a crappy phone that you can take crappy pictures and video on, buy a camera/video phone.

So, if you want to Virtual host, buy a virtual host.

If you want a laptop, buy a laptop.

If you want a crappy laptop and a crappy VM host, put Hyper-V on your laptop.

:) :)

SERIOUSLY, I think the problem is that slow drives that ship in most laptops. That poor spindle is only spinning about 5400 RPM's so your going to be IO bound even without running the laptop as a virtual server hosting an extra box or 2.

What you might try is to get a 10k drive in that laptop of yours OR, go grab a firewire or eSata driver and run the Virtual Machines on another hard drive. That should free up your laptop 5400 RPM spindle a bit.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you enable Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2008 machine, the HOST OS actually becomes a VM guest on top of the Hyper-Visor so in effect, your primary OS becomes a Virtual Machine. That combined with a 5400 RPM drive = SLOWNESS.

Get a faster drive and try to add a few spindles and your good to go (or go buy a workstation with a bunch of ram and spindles and you should be golden).

My philosophy has always been:

If you want a phone, buy a phone

If you want a camera, buy a camera

If you want a video camera, buy a video camera

If you want a crappy phone that you can take crappy pictures and video on, buy a camera/video phone.

So, if you want to Virtual host, buy a virtual host.

If you want a laptop, buy a laptop.

If you want a crappy laptop and a crappy VM host, put Hyper-V on your laptop.

:) :)

Awesome.... I laughed out loud for about 30 seconds on this. I think you should trademark that line heheheh. Yeah, I think you nailed it. It's just a 5400 RPM drive....

Thanks for the tip. I know what I'm buying this week! :)

Virtual Server on a notebook??? what are ya a sales guy? lol hehehe

just kidding. I have virtual server 2005 R2 running on my old Dell latitude and it smokes. No problem running Server 2003 on this old thing on a VM. ;)

Hyper-V..... MrG is right, it's just to bloated to be on a production notebook AND run a VM unless you get a nice 7200 or 10k notebook drive.

• 5 months later...
Guest digg1980

You are not the first person to complain about slow performance of Hyper-V, specially when run on a lower specs machine. Always remember that Hyper-V is using general drivers not virtualization optimized one which can definitely slow it down. Further more, you will always need to install the required IC for each OS to get adequate performance of your machine. Installing IC & getting performance of Windows 2008 is reasonable but with other OS it get more complicated specially for Linux. Look at the article below to find out what it really take to get performance out of Linux on:

Install SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP1 & Component Integration for Linux on Hyper-V

I hope this help.