groovyPost Forums

Is there a photo library software that can keep high res and low res photos organized?

Go to solution Solved by Jack,

A good question from the blog. Thought I'd turn it over to the groovyAnswers community to get the best recommendation

Sarah asks:

My library wants to “digitize” their old photos. A workshop says they should be in two different formats, TIFF and JPEG. They would need an identifier, such as :”Library photo 1, Library Photo 2,” etc., with a title and place for added description. There are photo management programs such as “Past Perfect” for $870. Is this job anything I could do with Windows Live Photo? If so, could you tell me how to set it up? Thanks, Sarah

When you batch rename files in Windows Live Photo Gallery, or in Windows Explorer for that matter, it automatically adds numbers to the filenames to differentiate them. You can add info such as date taken in the bottom right in Windows Live Photo Gallery

See the screenshotalt text

• Solution

And then there's the option to use Google Picasa. I like Picasa a lot, personally. Setup requires little more than installing it on the computer that has your photos on it. If you want to rename photos, follow the instructions in this tutorial:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/how-to/batch-renaming-picasa-add-date-resolution/

Get picasa here:

http://picasa.google.com/

Why do you need to keep a TIFF and a JPG? I honestly thing this is bad information. You see, TIFF originally was liked because there is no compression. This of course was before .JPG became such HIGH quality. Now days you can have 12megapixel JPG files at HUGE HUGE resolution so there honestly is no longer the need to go TIFF. Just save in .JPG and you should be fine.

Why do you need to keep a TIFF and a JPG? I honestly thing this is bad information. You see, TIFF originally was liked because there is no compression. This of course was before .JPG became such HIGH quality. Now days you can have 12megapixel JPG files at HUGE HUGE resolution so there honestly is no longer the need to go TIFF. Just save in .JPG and you should be fine.

Might not be her option to only keep .jpg. that's a bigger organization decision probably.