groovyPost Forums

Recover Deleted Email in Outlook [Article Comments]

Steve Krause

Guest rzotter

I believe I followed your instructions to the T on how to get DumosterAlways On. Changed the registry, set the value to 1, etc. It's now in my registry, yet the "recover deleted Items" does not appear in the tools menu.

What could I possibly doing wrong.

I do not want to hit the download .reg file, that's the easy way out.

I believe I followed your instructions to the T on how to get DumosterAlways On. Changed the registry, set the value to 1, etc. It's now in my registry, yet the "recover deleted Items" does not appear in the tools menu.

First the easy question and hopefully answer.

Did you restart Outlook after you made the registry change?

Guest rzotter

Yes

Yes

Ok so you made all the changes as described http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... ny-folder/ and you closed and re-opened Outlook.

Next question - are you running Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2000? Also, what is your email server? Is it an ISP server using POP or are you using a Microsoft Exchange Server?

Remember, this method is only available for Microsoft Exchange Server Clients w/Outlook. If your using POP or iMAP then you will need to use the methods I've been reviewing with RZotter in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2. In your screenshot, under "Client" I see "Extensions," "Mac File Types," "Options,"...

But in my case I do not see an "Options" folder under "Client" in the registry:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options

The only folder I have under "Client" is "Extensions"

What can I do?

Thanks,

Bert

Hi,

I have Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2. In your screenshot, under "Client" I see "Extensions," "Mac File Types," "Options,"...

But in my case I do not see an "Options" folder under "Client" in the registry:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options

The only folder I have under "Client" is "Extensions"

What can I do?

Thanks,

Bert

Hi Bert,

First, make sure you are making these changes on the computer where Microsoft Outlook is installed (not on your exchange server). Second, if you don't have the Options Folder / Tree in your Registry, you can just create it.

Create the Options Folder by Right-Clicking on the Client Folder, Click New -> Key. Name the new Key Options. At that point you should be able to continue with the How-To Article Here Starting on Step 5.

Let me know if that helps ya.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tzenk

Mr. Groove,

I have a different type problem with Microsoft Outlook 2007. I want to permanently remove this option from Microsoft Outlook 2007. We are having users go in and delete everything and we are unable to recover the items once they delete stuff from the recover deleted items. Is there a way to remove this option from the users so they can’t turn it back on Please HELP!!!

Thanks in advance

tzenk

Mr. Groove,

I have a different type problem with Microsoft Outlook 2007. I want to permanently remove this option from Microsoft Outlook 2007. We are having users go in and delete everything and we are unable to recover the items once they delete stuff from the recover deleted items. Is there a way to remove this option from the users so they can’t turn it back on Please HELP!!!

Thanks in advance

tzenk

Great question. In previous versions of Office this was a registy hack to ENABLE but I bet there is no Registry hack to disable it by default...

Let me play with it and get back to ya here.

@Tzenk

Yeah... back in the day when I ran a Security team we had trouble users who would do bad things.... in email then cover their tracks by un-deleting everything in the dumpster bin.

I've looked up and down to try and find a GPO which would allow you to roll this out IN MASS however the only tip I know of to disable the "Recover Deleted Items" feature in Outlook 2007 is only good for 1 machine and the logged in user. Not very practical really. Microsoft really needs to provide a GPO for this.

Disable Deleted Item Recovery for LOGGED IN USER

From Outlook goto Tools , Trust Center, Add-ins. At the bottom under Manage: Select Exchange Client Extensions from the drop-down menu, Click Go. In the box that open up, un-check the Delete item Recovery box.

That will do the trick for the logged in User or Profile.

Hope this helps ya a little bit....

Guest tzenk

I Have found a way to remove this option for everyone in a Mass Push Out! You need to do this through group policy and navigate to the Microsoft 2007 / enable custom button features and then in the ID field you need to enter 5654. Once you enforce this group policy it grays out the option and there is No-Way the user can correct it to turn this back on and delete everything that way you always have a copy of his or her email even if they intend to do harm.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eliripoll

Hi All,

Hope some one can help with this one. I have a user who needs this feature. they have outllook 2007 for some reason when ever she clicks recover on any of the deleted items or all of them. It appears that they have been recovered but we can never find them. then when we go to the "recover items" tool again. all the emails are still there. I dont understand why it wont let her recover her emails. the setup is 2007 connected to exchange 2003. Any insight will be greatly appreciatied. it almost appears that there getting deleted automatically, Oh Yeah i did check the rules she only has one rule thats unrelated.

Thanks in advance

Eli Ripoll

Hi All,

Hope some one can help with this one. I have a user who needs this feature. they have outllook 2007 for some reason when ever she clicks recover on any of the deleted items or all of them. It appears that they have been recovered but we can never find them. then when we go to the "recover items" tool again. all the emails are still there. I dont understand why it wont let her recover her emails. the setup is 2007 connected to exchange 2003. Any insight will be greatly appreciatied. it almost appears that there getting deleted automatically, Oh Yeah i did check the rules she only has one rule thats unrelated.

Thanks in advance

Eli Ripoll

Hi Eli dude! welcome to groovyland!

im going to go out on a lim here and just throw out some ideas. you already checked rules which was a good first step. next make sure your not doing any kind of "archive". If you RIGHT CLICK on a folder and click Properties, click the auto-archive tool. I'm guessing perhaps there is an auto archive rul setup to archive all mail oder than XXX and this could be what keeps nuking the files.

Granted, it if is auto-archive then you should be able to find the files in your Archive folder. again, Archive is a funky feature so check it out and report back here if that was the problem.

anyone else have any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Luay

Hey there,

I have a problem.

I use two accounts on MS outlook , I accidentally deleted (remove account) from the account management, and it deleted ALL the folders associated with that account (inbox, sent, drafts.......) . I want that account back, at least to export it before I delete it. is it possible to do that now ??? :(

(PS: I tried system restore twice, and it didn't work).

Please help !

thanks.

Ouch...

I take it this is a home system? Not a corporate email account? If it were a corporate account all the mail would still be on the server.

Hopefully some of your email is still on the server so if you re-create the account hopefully it will pull the email down (as long as it was configured to keep mail on the server using iMAP for instance).

To get the email back hopefully you can get the .PST file restored. Perhaps it's still in your outlook folder (need to test that) but if it's not use one of these tools to restore it:

general/how-to-undelete-files-and-folders-and-recover-lost-files-t95647.html

Depending on how much you have written to the disk will vary your restore results.

Do you know how to find your Outlook folder? Just go back into accounts (in outlook) and look to see where your other data files are stored. Should point you right to where the old account .pst is.

Guest Luay

well...

that email is from my previous job at the university... they gave me a notice that it will no longer be active after may 17th (5days from now), and i was planning to back up those emails before that. However, yesterday, outlook started prompting me every few seconds for username and password, which made me think if i "removed" the account i will still be able to have the folders(inbox,drafts...etc.) that are connected to this account...

I tried logging in through the university server, and it's giving me a failed login, what seems they disabled my email BEFORE may 17th.

re creating the account in outlook is not working..... (prompting me again for username/pswrd) . I will contact the university IT desk just in case.

now, I found the outlook.pst file here : C:\Users\'user name'\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook , and it is like :

Out'myname'@'university'.edu-00000004.PST so this one is the university PST.

(the one for my other account which i still have is located somewhere else, i moved it on purpose to a different drive some time ago)

now what ?

Guest Luay

lol

okay after that long post above...

i just pointed outlook to this file i found....and it worked !!! i have all my emails back! :) so happy !

The first email account which i had, i already had changed its location from default to a different drive. safer, and i didn't have to mess with it. however the university account one, i never changed its place since i had it, so by default, i had all the emails separated.

and we didn't need to go to more extreme measures :)

thank you so much for your help !!!!!!

L

lol

i just pointed outlook to this file i found....and it worked !!! i have all my emails back! :) so happy !

L

Excellent! I'm glad you were able to get your mail. And sorry to hear about your job.....

Hope to see you around the site!

Another note to you and others reading this thread - You should also remember that in most "Corporate" environments which use Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Outlook, a copy of all email is normally stored in your Outlook folder with an extension of .ost

The OST file is created when your Exchange admin turns on Cache Mode (or you enable cache mode in the outlook client). Cache mode allows notebook users to disconnect from the corporate server and do email remote. When you connect to the corporate network again you then sync your inbox doing a send/receive to get everything back in sync.

So, if you ever lose all your email on your server don't forget to take a quick copy of the .OST file.

(Vista and Windows 7)

Default location of the Outlook OST file: c:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost

lol

The first email account which i had, i already had changed its location from default to a different drive. safer, and i didn't have to mess with it. however the university account one, i never changed its place since i had it, so by default, i had all the emails separated.

and we didn't need to go to more extreme measures :)

L

They locked out your account??? lame man...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest TheRealRalf

Hi Everybody,

just a short question: Does this method work with folders to?

I just tested it with OL2007/Exchange2007(?) under WinXPSP3 but to no avail.

Greets,

Ralf

Hi Everybody,

just a short question: Does this method work with folders to?

I just tested it with OL2007/Exchange2007(?) under WinXPSP3 but to no avail.

Greets,

Ralf

No. The email should be recoverable but not the folders. OL2007 / OL-PST is a whole different scenerio however and the folders and emails are normally recoverable by using a PST Repair tool.

• 1 month later...
Guest bhanuk

Hai Mr.Groove,

This is the very and super tip on Outlook....thanks for posting this tip....and also thanks 4 Groovypost.

but please resolve my issue....

I have pop and imap server (My mail server is using PostFix)

And the client is Outlook 2003.....

Please tell me the procedure for recovery deleted email( whether it is accidentally or delete permanently ) from outlook 2003 client and server is postfix(Linux operation system and Pop3 and imap)

Thanks in Advance

Thanks and regards

bhanu prakash

• 2 weeks later...

In an earlier forum dated October 10, 2008, there was some discussion concerning recovering deleted emails using the pst file. On November 7, 2008, Ravi Luck @MrGroove posted he had recovered deleted emails using a pst file. He located the pst file and "then in the file, under its properties (maybe advanced properties), restored it to a date before the email was deleted". I have located my pst file but cannot restore it to a date before the emails I am looking for were deleted. Can someone tell me how to restore the pst file to an earlier date?

I have succesfully restored some of the deleted emails in the pst file by corrupting the pst file with a hex editor and using SCANPST.exe to recover the file. The problem is, the recovery operation doesn't restore the deleted emails to a date far enough in the past.