groovyPost Forums

Installing Windows 7 on Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V

Steve Krause

JUST a little FYI regarding Installing Windows 7 on a Microsoft HYPER-V Server.

Recently I was pleasantly surprised to find that Microsoft did something GOOD this time around with the recent release of the Windows 7 Beta.

When installing Windows 7 BETA on my Hyper-V box I was wondering if they would have the Integration Services (AKA Virtual Machine additions) for Windows 7 on Hyper-V and if it was going to be a pain to install them.

This is important because I control my Hyper-V server via RDP and when you connect to a VM through the console, if the VM doens't have the Integration Services installed the mouse is dead.

Anyway, to my pleasant surprise, after the first install reboot of the VM came up WITH THE MOUSE WORKING. When I poked around a bit I found that Microsoft had pre-installed the Hyper-V Integration Services with Windows 7 BETA so after the first reboot it was up and running with Network, video etc....

From there I RDP'd into the box and away I went.

JUST a little FYI regarding Installing Windows 7 on a Microsoft HYPER-V Server.

Anyway, to my pleasant surprise, after the first install reboot of the VM came up WITH THE MOUSE WORKING. When I poked around a bit I found that Microsoft had pre-installed the Hyper-V Integration Services with Windows 7 BETA so after the first reboot it was up and running with Network, video etc....

Yup. I found that out a few weeks ago.

One thing I'm still trying to do is get AERO to work over RDP!!! Been trying everything. Vista works no problem right out of the box but Windows 7 is not working.

Same host...

Anyone got any ideas?