groovyPost Forums

How to completely disable social network connector

Guest Jomoud

Guest Jomoud

Does anyone know how to completely disable the social network connector and people pane.

I know that I can turn it off, but that does not mean it doesn’t send the attachments.

This feature can cause us a lot of problems with the privacy legislation.

We are a law firm and have to be extremely careful.

We just changed a week ago from XP and Office 2003 to Windows 7 and Office 2010.

I have spend an entire morning trying to disable this feature without success.

Even though I deleted the social network option in the options of Outlook, it still sends out attachments.

My tech people have been working on this as well, without any luck.

Any help in totally eliminating this from Outlook 2010 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jomoud

The workaround you posted worked perfectly.

I have been able to completely remove the social network connector and am no longer being annopyed by the people pane.

This may be a nice feature, but for certain offices that are regulated by privacy legislation it is a very dangerous part of MS Office 2010

• 2 months later...
Guest riyadsouza
Does anyone know how to completely disable the social network connector and people pane.

I know that I can turn it off, but that does not mean it doesn’t send the attachments.

This feature can cause us a lot of problems with the privacy legislation.

We are a law firm and have to be extremely careful.

We just changed a week ago from XP and Office 2003 to Windows 7 and Office 2010.

I have spend an entire morning trying to disable this feature without success.

Even though I deleted the social network option in the options of Outlook, it still sends out attachments.

My tech people have been working on this as well, without any luck.

Any help in totally eliminating this from Outlook 2010 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Outlook 2010 features a new Outlook Social Connector that integrates Outlook with several social networking sites, such as Facebook, Twitter and My Space. The idea is to provide a pane at the bottom of each message that shows the recent social networking updates from the senders and recipients in each message. Outlook 2010 will also pull photos or avatars of the senders and recipients from these social networks to provide a fuller, richer and more personal messaging experience.

While this might be a good idea for home users or businesses that are more open to social networking, I find that most corporate networks block access to social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and My Space. This renders the Outlook Social Connector useless and takes up valuable screen real estate, as shown below.

If you happen to click the "People Pane" (highlighted in red above) it expands to show more information from the configured social networking sites, taking up even more room. Here's how to get rid of it.

On the Outlook 2010 main screen click the View tab, then People Pane, then select Off. Viola!

• 6 months later...
Guest wazzubuk

I think I am having problems with my Firefox browser as I can't see parts of these pages!!

I just did an upgrade, so I think I must have messed up.

Anyway, just thought I would say hello to everyone as I've just joined.

Regards

Steve

WAZZUB Family

http://www.wazzubuk.com

Edited by wazzubuk