groovyPost Forums

How safe is Chrome? & other browsers

Guest Animis

Guest Animis

Recently I was going to reformat my computer anyhow so I decided to install and try out a bunch of new applications. So I downloaded Chrome and it is really fast, it's very simple and lightweight too, I really like it.

I'm wondering though, I heard some rumors that google pretty much steals all of your information while you are using Chrome, is that true?

Also, I've finally gone ahead and decided I want to go 100% Firefox, does anyone know of anyway to block IE from ever opening?

I'm on XP sp3

I'm wondering though, I heard some rumors that google pretty much steals all of your information while you are using Chrome, is that true?

For the first part of your question, Google did take some heat due to the EULA attached to the chrome browser. Just like it's normal EULA or Terms of Use/Service agreement they claimed that you granted them a license to everything viewed through the browser perpetually.

This made a few ppl a bit upset, spread across the internet and Google amended the EULA cutting almost all the language from the license you grant them (they caved in basically).

In it's current form, it's probably no worse than what they are already tracking on you via Google Analytics and Google.com search. Based on this, I wouldn't discourage it's use if asked.

Guest Animis

ah okay, thanks for clearing that up.

I went ahead and went through the EULA and didn't see anything fishy, I'm no lawyer though...

I did go through Google's security policy though and found that they give you the option to opt out of some of there ad serve cookies.

Choices for personal information

When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we ask you to provide personal information. If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use.

If we propose to use personal information for any purposes other than those described in this Privacy Policy and/or in the specific service privacy notices, we will offer you an effective way to opt out of the use of personal information for those other purposes. We will not collect or use sensitive information for purposes other than those described in this Privacy Policy and/or in the supplementary service privacy notices, unless we have obtained your prior consent.

Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some Google features and services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.

You may choose to opt out of Google’s Ad Serving cookies on the Google content network at any time by using DoubleClick’s cookie opt-out.

You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case Google may not be able to provide those services to you.

So me thinks if they give the option to Opt out, then the reason they must track you is in order to give you more appealing advertisements.

• 2 weeks later...

you can block internet explorer from opening by adding a software restriction policy to it.

go to start > run

type in secpol.msc and hit enter

then right-click on Software Restriction Policies > Additional Rules

click New Path Rule...

browse to iexplore.exe c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe

set to disallowed and hit enter. all done

as far as security goes, Google still probably tracks you so if you are extremely paranoid I'd go with Firefox.

problem solved!

• 1 year later...

They are enough safe the are from Google,Opera,FireFox,Safari.Those Browsers I trust the most

Now I canno't make People use them if they do not like them, but they are very good in all means.

The bad is that meny browsers Copy from other Browsers.Like for Ex:Opera and the newest Version of FireFox

Fire Fox have copied the big red button witch stands for "Menu" And They have both options For Chrome Loking Witch is copied from the google browser.....and etc.Pretty much thats all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...