groovyPost Forums

Outlook 07 deletes Auto Complete

Guest victory

Guest victory

I have a case where the user does not have the email address in his contacts, it is just in his auto complete from typing it in once, if he sends an email that is undeliverable the next time he trys to email the same person, the auto complete for that address is gone? I know he should have them in his contacts, and I think i have convinced him of this, but it is nice to keep the auto complete working.

I am new to 07, but have never had this problem in 03.

Hi Victory! Welcome to the site!

Ok, so this is a really odd problem you've detailed. What your saying is an address in the users Auto-Complete received an Email NDR (Non-Delivery Receipt). When he went back to send the email again the Email Address was no longer in his Outlook Auto-Complete?

I assume the user wants to resend the email but now he cannot remember the email address. Perhaps you can get the address from the NDR message? Does he have that? You can also look in the Sent Items folder. If it's not there, you should be able to find it using the "Recover Deleted Items". Just click on the Sent folder, Tools, Recover Deleted Items. If it's not there then try that from the Deleted Items folder. Perhaps it's in there.

Anyway, back to your question, Unless he deleted the Auto-Complete entry manually or deleted his outlook profile or, moved to a new machine, his Auto-Complete Cache should be intact. It's very odd.

Another option is to use NK2View. It's a utility which you can use to open his Auto-complete file and look at all his entries. Perhaps it's in there somewhere. The tool is free so have fun with it.

Hope this helps!

Guest victory

Yep, that is what is happens every time an email is undeliverable.

He had the email address, so that was not a problem, just trying to figure out why Outlook would delete it. Thanks for your ideas, I have posted on other sites to see if anyone else has experienced this. Since it doesn't seem to be a common error, I am thinking of reinstalling and seeing if that helps.

Thanks

Hi Victory,

I just confirmed the behavior on my own Outlook 2007 client. Here's what I found:

1 - Opened up Outlook 2007

2 -Sent an email to a bogus email address (qwerty@qwerpoiuiqwer.com)

3 -Quickly Quickly Composed a new email and as I typed in Qwerty, the Auto Complete finished up the rest of the email address. In other words, the Email address was added to my Auto-Complete.

4 - After 5-10 seconds I received an pop-up:

System Administrator - Undeliverable: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

The Following recipient(s) cannot be reached

5 - Composed a New email however this time the qwerty email address was no longer in my Auto-Complete Cache.

So, it looks like this Behavior is by design. Outlook 2007 will remove email addresses from the Auto-Complete Cache (.nk2 file) if the Outlook client receives an NDR or Undeliverable email on it.

Very groovy find Victory! Never know a bounce could impact the Auto-Complete file. Personally.... this kinda smells like a Security issue if you ask me. Hmm...

Yep, that is what is happens every time an email is undeliverable.

He had the email address, so that was not a problem, just trying to figure out why Outlook would delete it. Thanks for your ideas, I have posted on other sites to see if anyone else has experienced this. Since it doesn't seem to be a common error, I am thinking of reinstalling and seeing if that helps.

Thanks

Sorry, I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want to have an email address in the Auto-Complete if it's an NDR / Non deliverable email?

No disrespect intended. I just don't see why you would want it in the Auto-Complete. I think that's what Microsoft was thinking when they put in the code to pull it from the Outlook Auto-Complete if it comes back NDR.?.?

Guest victory

I agree with you 100%, but we are dealing with 60 year old company owner, still a little resistant to technology. We are working on getting him to put everything in his contacts, but we get the same old answer. "it worked just fine in '03 why can't it work in '07?" (and honestly, I agree with him)

Why would you want it deleted just because it was NDR? To me it shouldn't delete it just because I send a file that is to big for them to receive, I still would want to send them other emails.

Just something he will have to get used to.

Thanks for the replies and info, great forum.

Why would you want it deleted just because it was NDR? To me it shouldn't delete it just because I send a file that is to big for them to receive, I still would want to send them other emails.

Just something he will have to get used to.

Thanks for the replies and info, great forum.

Ahhh... That's something I hadn't tested or thought of, NDR bounce due to attachment size. I agree 100%, that would be pretty annoying to have the NDR pull the address from the Auto-Complete due to file size. That sounds like an unintended consequence. MSFT will probably want to fix that if it repros.

Thanks for the info Victory!