groovyPost Forums

Shared Mailbox

Guest jwhampton

Guest jwhampton

I am using shared mailboxes and several people have access to the same mailbox. When I delete the email on my machine it does not delete from their mailbox so they can not see that I already took care of that email. How would I set up my accounts so that several people have access to the mailbox AND can move, delete,respond to emails with the other employees seeing the same actions ?

How is the mailbox setup? It sounds like you configured the mailbox using POP servers and not IMAP or Microsoft Exchange.

POP downloads a copy of the email but if configured, leaves a copy on the server. IMAP is much more client server.

What version of outlook are you using? Are you using a corporate email server like Exchange or? Might want to confirm if your using POP, iMAP or Exchange.

Here's some reading information on IMAP as well.

Hope to hear back from you!

• 2 weeks later...
We use Outlook 2010 and it is a hosted exchange server - by Appriver.

Appriver is using Exchange 2007

If your using Exchange server then the process is SUPER SIMPLE. YOu just need them (Appriver) to give you all rights to read/delete/send with that mailbox.

Make sure you IN THE MAILBOX and your not copying the mail to a PST or something like that. At that point, anything you do the other should see instantly. If not, Appriver has something broken.

Also make sure your connected to the Mailbox with MAPI and not iMap or something funky.

Guest jwhampton

ok, I am testing it now and it seems that when I reply from one of the shared mailboxes the "sent" item goes into my personal sent items instead of the sent items for the mailbox I replied from.

Take a look here at this thread in the forum.

microsoft-office/add-second-mailbox-in-outlook-2007-t83151.html#p97498

We talked about this a few months back. I don't have Outlook on this computer or I would look to see if you can specific through the account settings where to place sent items. That rule should do it tho.