groovyPost Forums

Does a Hosting location matter? East coast Vs. West Coast?

shockersh

So I have a question. Latency is the devil when it comes to internet speed. There is only so much you can do with Physics ya know...

So my question is, if I am going to build a website for my customer who already has a lot of traffic, should I look for a hosting provider which is on the west coast, central US or east coast? My thoughts are this:

West coast would be good for yeah, the west coast and Asia Pacific

Central in Chicago or Dallas would be great for people on either coast of the USA and closer to the UK and Europe also.

East coast would be slow for the western world yet faster for central, east coast and europe...

Thoughts? Do any of you think about this when building a site? Should I worry about it? The reason I ask is because Dreamhost and Mediatemple are both in California however sites like myhosting.com is located in Toronto Canada which is on the East coast....

Thoughts?

I personally think the location of the hosting provide does make a difference... That is unless you use a CDN to host your data around the globe:

Limelight.com

Akamai.com

Bitgravity.com

Rackspace.com

Amazon.com

Softlayer.com

However for most sites, you are probably not going to be using a CDN so location is important. Well... important but not the MOSt important. The most importing is to have good strong content. Period.

If you have that, everything else will come in line and as the traffic grows, you should then focus on a good CDN and SEO strategy.

Hope that helps.

• 9 years later...

I think what really matters is where most of your hosting company servers are located.

That is why some people check where most of their traffic is coming from and choose hosting companies that have many servers and are quite fast around that region. 

Although, there are some great hosting companies like SiteGround that generally have FAST servers in most regions.