groovyPost Forums

New XP Pro Desktop and Outlook 2007 is Really Slow

Steve Krause

Question from Reader

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... mment-2747

Sascha - 25 Nov 2008 at 7:24 am

Running XP with SP3 and all updates applied. system fresh and clean installed two days ago, no spyware,viruses et al. After XP was installed and set up I installed Office 2007 : Word,Powerpoint,OneNote and Outlook - each item installed with all features plus the MS Document Imaging ( I need Twain/Scanner and the OCR function ) .

The self built Box is in general speedy enough ( it can even handle Vista well ):

AMD Athlon x64, ~ 2.2 GhZ, 1GB Ram, 250 GB HDD, Geforce 6200 graphics.

Right after Office I applied the SP1 for it and installed also the “save as pdf” add in, plus all security fixes and the junkmail updater for outlook 2007.

I set up one pop mail account and installed the “Connector” to be able to have my hotmail account in Outlook. started using Outlook after all these updates on my snappy and speedy XP Pro - it is unbelievable slow ! Sending two emails with attachments ( both ~ 400-600kb ) over a cable modem connection took over 20 minutes!

The *.pst file is under 100 MB.

This application is broken. A shame I cannot use outlook 03 with the other office 07 apps ( which work quite well )

SO.. just as a feedback that all these updates do nothing. I think it is defective in general.

Excellent job explaining your configuration and desktop build.

Just a couple questions.

1 - Are you running the latest Service pack for XP?

2 - Are you running an Anti-Virus Application (this really shouldn't affect anything)

3 - Is your "Slow'" Outlook performance only isolated to sending email?

3a - How is performance for Reading email, Receiving email etc...

4 - Is there a reason you are not using iMAP instead of POP? You might get better performance that way.

Let's start here ;)

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...
Guest nowch

As it is not possible to post a comment right under the article, I've chosen this way. I fixed the Outlook instant search as well but it still seemed not work as fast as I want it to be. After several days of research I had to accept that the search worked perfectly well but not fast enough for me, especially searching my PST-Files, I wanted to have quicker results. I did some research and after some testing (including xobni and lookout which doesn't work for Outlook 2007) I installed lookeen which is, also in Outlook 2010, working extremly well. Just in case someone had/has the same problem.

As it is not possible to post a comment right under the article, I've chosen this way. I fixed the Outlook instant search as well but it still seemed not work as fast as I want it to be. After several days of research I had to accept that the search worked perfectly well but not fast enough for me, especially searching my PST-Files, I wanted to have quicker results. I did some research and after some testing (including xobni and lookout which doesn't work for Outlook 2007) I installed lookeen which is, also in Outlook 2010, working extremly well. Just in case someone had/has the same problem.

Lookeen? Never used it. Is it free?

Also btw - good call not using xonbi. Their terms of service sucks. You have no idea what they are doing with your email.

Guest nowch

I haven't read their terms of service, what are they doing with my mails?

Lookeen is not for free unfortunately, there are plans to release a free version but right now you have to pay some money, I still think that lookeen is worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest poneil

You should read the Terms of Service before using xobni. Here's the areas i thought were interesting. Now keep in mind I'm not an attorney so you need to make you own decisions.

http://www.xobni.com/legal/tos

6. YOUR CONTENT ON THE SERVICE

The Service includes information, data, text, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags, or other materials ("Content") from many people and entities, and such Content is the sole responsibility of the person or entity that provided it. This means that you are entirely responsible for all Content that you email, transmit or otherwise make available while using the Service (including third party service integrations that you enable through the Service), and for the consequences of your actions (including any loss or damage which Xobni may suffer) by doing so. Note that Content is treated differently than "Feedback" which is covered in Section 7. Xobni does not claim ownership of such Content and you agree that Xobni may use, distribute, syndicate, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content solely for the purpose of providing you the Service. If you no longer want your Content to appear on the Service, you go to your applicable third party service providing the Content and either change your privacy settings to block publicly available content, or remove the content entirely. However, you agree and understand that Xobni may not be able to (and has no obligation to you) to restrict any use of your Content by any other person, including other users, and that Xobni has no control of your Content provided by or to the third party services that you authorize or enable.

http://www.xobni.com/legal/privacy

How We Use Your Information

Automatically Recorded Information: Xobni does not claim any ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information, images, photographs, music, sound, video or other material that you upload, transmit, store or otherwise make available in connection with the Service. Such content will remain your private information. Xobni's servers will automatically scan and record certain information regarding your use of the Service, such as an "I'm here" ping that says your installation is active, basic log information, your email address, and your IP address. Such automatically recorded information shall remain your private information and will not be made available to the public.

Opt-in Recorded Information: During installation of the Xobni software you may be given the option to opt-in to one or more of Xobni's "Customer Experience Improvement Programs". The information recorded as a result of your opting in to a Customer Experience Program will be used only for the purpose of improving the Service for you and will not be made available to the public. You can opt in or out of this program at any time in the options menu item in the xobni menu.

User-Provided Information: By providing Xobni your email address you consent to our using the email address to send you Service-related notices, including any notices required by law, in lieu of communication by postal mail. You may opt out or change the frequency of many Service-related communications by clicking an email preferences link provided at the end of every email Xobni sends. As part of our registration process we will also ask your permission to use your email address to send you other messages, such as newsletters, changes to features of the Service, or special offers. If you do not want to receive such email messages, you may unsubscribe or change your mailing preferences by clicking a link that will appear at the end of all email communications. Opting out may prevent you from receiving email messages regarding updates, improvements, or offers.

Xobni may use certain information about you without identifying you as an individual to third parties. We do this for purposes such as analyzing how the Service is used, diagnosing service or technical problems, and maintaining security.

We use cookies, clear gifs, and log file information to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information; © monitor the effectiveness of our service; (d) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors and traffic; and (e) diagnose or fix technology problems reported by our users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific web company or ISP.

How We Share Your Information

Personally Identifiable Information: Xobni will not rent or sell your personally identifiable information to others and will not share it with others except as provided herein. Xobni may share your personally identifiable information with third parties solely for the purpose of providing services to you. If we do this, such third parties' use of your information will be bound by this Privacy Policy. We may store personal information in locations outside the direct control of Xobni (for instance, on servers or databases co-located with hosting providers).

Your email address is used and may be disclosed when a Xobni user invites another person to try Xobni. When you view an email in your Outlook inbox, we will automatically send that message sender's email address to the API (Application Programming Interface) of partner companies. We do this so that if the sender has an account with these partners, data they have decided to share will be visible to you inside Xobni. The senders' email addresses will be sent to our partners for the sole purpose of improving your experience using the Service and they will not be otherwise used or stored by Xobni or by any of the partners. You can opt in or out of these services at any time in the options menu item in the Xobni menu.

As we develop our business, we may buy or sell assets or business offerings. Customer, email, and visitor information is generally one of the transferred business assets in these types of transactions. We may also transfer such information in the course of corporate divestitures, mergers, or dissolution.

Except as otherwise described in this Privacy Policy, Xobni will not disclose personal information to any third party unless required to do so by law or subpoena or if we believe that such action is necessary to (a) conform to the law, comply with legal process served on us or our affiliates, or investigate, prevent, or take action regarding suspected or actual illegal activities; (b) to enforce our License (http://www.xobni.com/legal/license), take precautions against liability, to investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, to assist government enforcement agencies, or to protect the security or integrity of our site; and © to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Xobni, our users or others.

Non-Personally Identifiable Information: We may share non-personally identifiable information (such as anonymous usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with interested third parties to help them understand the usage patterns for certain Xobni services.