groovyPost Forums

Buying Laptops

Guest Animis

I am in need of advice!

So with all the Tech knowledge floating around here I assume I've come to the right place.

I'm in the market to buy a laptop. I am somewhat of a computer geek, however I have never "gone mobile" before and do not know what to look for in these types of systems.

Also, Black Friday is approaching so I am hoping to take advantage of some of those deals.

http://tgiblackfriday.com/category/Laptops

So I'm up for any reccomendations anyone might have.

I don't need to run games, or 3d cgi publishing type stuff. I just need to run say Live Writer, Adobe Master Suite (photoshop, dreamweaver, contribute etc..) Virtual PC would be a plus, and probably some high-def movies every once in a while.

I'm also trying to stay cheap, I dont NEED a laptop, so under $450 is my range, with a goal of around $325ish.

Thanks for the help!

Found one on office depot .com

OfficeDepot.com HP Pavilion dv9999us AMD Turion X2 dual-core TL-60 2.0GHz, 17-inch WXGA+, 4GB RAM, 250GB, DVD Burner, Webcam + Wi-Fi Notebook Computer - FE709UA#ABA for $489.99 **HOT**17-inch Screen**Now Online**

AMD Turion X2 dual-core TL-60 2.0GHz / 17" WXGA+ (1440 x 900) BrightView LCD screen / 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM memory / 250GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive / LightScribe SuperMulti DVD drive w/Double Layer support / 802.11b/g wireless LAN / 10/100Base-T Ethernet network interface (RJ-45 connector) / 1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) and 1 S-video out port / 1 notebook expansion port 3 / Built-in webcam with integrated microphone / nVidia GeForce Go 7150M graphics / Altec Lansing audio with stereo speakers / 2 headphone output jacks and 1 microphone input jack / HP mobile remote control / Rechargeable 8-cell lithium-ion battery; 65W AC adapter

Click Here and add to cart for $749.99

Ignore insufficient stock warning, go to shopping cart and Choose "Pickup at Store". Price will change to $599.99

Your Final Price: $599.99 - $60 MIR (Ends 11/29) - $50 MIR (Ends 01/03/2009) = $489.99 + Free in-store Pickup

continuuing to search!

Nice prices for a Laptop/Notebook. 17 inch monitor is sick. However personally, when I get a notebook I like to stick to a small form factor. I don't agree that a Notebook is going to replace the desktop anytime soon. So I get a desktop with the big screen however I want my notebook as small as possible.

Units to keep an eye out for:

ASUS EEE - First mini notebook. Perfect for XP or Ubuntu

Latest from Dell:

Dell Inspiron MINI 9

$449 - 16Gig Solid State HD & 1 Gig Memory

$399 - 8 SS HD & 512MB Memory

$349 - 4GB HD & 512MB Memory

This was a few weeks ago however, I'm betting the prices will drop for Black Friday.

Units to keep an eye out for:

ASUS EEE - First mini notebook. Perfect for XP or Ubuntu

Latest from Dell:

Dell Inspiron MINI 9

$449 - 16Gig Solid State HD & 1 Gig Memory

$399 - 8 SS HD & 512MB Memory

$349 - 4GB HD & 512MB Memory

This was a few weeks ago however, I'm betting the prices will drop for Black Friday.

Good info. I saw the Dell Inspiron Mini 9's but I think that's a bit steep for a box that might not be able to run Vista. Now, if it has the chops to run Windows 7.... that's a different story.

Animis, I think your on the right track. Black Friday should show some nice deals. With the current economy, I think the various retailers are going to come to the mat in order to get people to come out of their houses!