groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2010 - Control Delete Action in Inbox

Guest HannibalToo

Guest HannibalToo

I am unable to alter the "motion" of remaining emails when an email is deleted from the listing of all emails.

In Outlook 2007 and before, one could tell the program to move to either the "next" or "previous" email when you deleted an email. I cannot find that option in Office 2010. Naturally, the way _I_ want to move is opposite the way it moves by default.

I can obtain the result I want by altering the sort order from decending to ascending, but then my new messages appear at the bottom of the listing instead of the top of the listing where I prefer it to be.

Am I missing a dialog box somewhere? I think I have look at every option in the "editor" and on the ribbon and I just cannot seem to find it, or recognize it if they have changed the wording of the option.

Do you know where it is? More importantly, do you know how to do it?

Please tell me! Thanks.

Hey there. I think I found what your looking for...???

Go into Outlook 2010 and

Click File

Options

Click Mail Tab

Scroll to the bottom and look for the Other Heading

VERY LAST OPTION "After Moving or deleting an open item" Click the down arrow and choose the option you want.

The options available are: Return to the current folder, Open the Previous Item, Open the Next Item.

Hope that helps ya!

Guest HannibalToo

YESSSSS ! ! !

I took things too literally. The option you refer to said OPEN item. It never occurred to me to check it out in a list of UNopened items. Works on them too.

Thank you, thank you. My brain is very happy.

• 2 years later...
Guest pingwin

Hi,

I have a situation where my sis and me both have an outlook opened with the same mailbox and sometimes we have the next situation:

we both are standing on the most resent mail, we get (to the same mail address on a different outlook) a mail,

we both press delete and then starts a rase condition where the first one who presses delete actualy deletes the mail

while the other one delete the next mail, which we dont want to.

Is there any way you can tell the OUTLOOK what to do if you delete a mail from the inbox list - specificly "if you stand on a mail in the inbo list and it has been deleted

dont select any other mail instead" ?????????

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Hi Pingwin -- I really

Hi,

I have a situation where my sis and me both have an outlook opened with the same mailbox and sometimes we have the next situation:

we both are standing on the most resent mail, we get (to the same mail address on a different outlook) a mail,

we both press delete and then starts a rase condition where the first one who presses delete actualy deletes the mail

while the other one delete the next mail, which we dont want to.

Is there any way you can tell the OUTLOOK what to do if you delete a mail from the inbox list - specificly "if you stand on a mail in the inbo list and it has been deleted

dont select any other mail instead" ?????????

The way the two of you are using it, not really. That's very rare but I assume you are both running a business together or something?

Anyway, my suggestion would be to create a workflow of some sort between the two of you. Something like -- Create a folder in the mailbox with Your Name and Her Name. Now, before you start working the emails, copy the emails into your folder so you can work them without bumping into your sister. Not the best solution... but an option.

Another thing you could do would be label the emails or categorize them to show you are working on them. This would change them so your sister (or you) would know...