groovyPost Forums

Changing Windows 7 User Name

Rufio

So I used the Advanced User Profile Properties manager to change a username on my Windows 7 machine. Problem is it only changed the user login name on my local machine.

When I try to network share in I still am required to type in the old name, and when I go to my /Users folder the profile folder is still named after the old account name.

Anyway to change the name and also change the location of these folders and permissions?

• 1 month later...

Best way to make sure everything is with one name.

Go to the start menu and click the user avatar at the top right corner. You will be taken to the User Accounts. From there, select the option "Change your account name". Type in a new name.

Note: You may not see the changes take effect immediately. Try a reboot and everything should be OK.

• 1 month later...
So I used the Advanced User Profile Properties manager to change a username on my Windows 7 machine. Problem is it only changed the user login name on my local machine.

When I try to network share in I still am required to type in the old name, and when I go to my /Users folder the profile folder is still named after the old account name.

Anyway to change the name and also change the location of these folders and permissions?

Changing your local user account on your PC is just that, your local account. Is you machine a member of a windows domain? Is that the network account your talking about? If yes, you will need to have your Domain Admin (IT GUY) change that name for you on the domain. That is not something you as an end user can change.