groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2007 Attachment opening problem

Guest kdcrawford

Guest kdcrawford

Greetings all:

New to Mr. Groovy, I have a problem with Outlook 2007 that just appeared on Wednesday. When I attempt to open an attachment in an email the file cannot be found. However, if I save the file, to desktop or the HD I can then open it (therefore the file is there (somewhere). As I said above, this just started Wed., in the past I could open all files (I only opened from people I trusted). I have searched the net for possible solutions and have found none. I have checked the settings in Outlook for changes, all set as before when it worked. I have checked the size of the PST file, 1.65 gig so that should not be an issue. I have also run the utility on the PST file and rebuilt the file. Additionally, I checked the Outlook Temporary Internet Files folder to insure that there wasn’t a problem there, no files.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, I need to run out now but will return this afternoon to look for your replies (hopefully someone can help).

XP Home (SP3, all other updates, automatic)

Pent 4 3 Gig

2GB Memory

That's really funky. What is the exact error message and post a screenshot if you post it.

Also, your error message is cannot find a file not cannot create a file right? Here's a link for the cannot create a file issue... http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... ent-error/

Also, I assume your drive space on your HD is fine right?

Guest kdcrawford

I agree.... somewhat funky.... Will try to post screen shots, if i can figure out how, new to this. HD is a-ok, new drive with lots of space, been de-fraged and maintained.

Hope the screen shot appears below

Thanks, in advance.....Doc1.doc

I agree.... somewhat funky.... Will try to post screen shots, if i can figure out how, new to this. HD is a-ok, new drive with lots of space, been de-fraged and maintained.

Hope the screen shot appears below

Thanks, in advance.....[attachment=0]Doc1.doc[/attachment]

Hi there,

I opened up the word attachment that has your screenshots... Very odd...

I'm not sure why Adobe Reader said it could not find the file and then Excel then Windows Media Player. Very bizarre.

One thing that might be happening. Perhaps the file has a virus and when you try to open it your AV is deleting the file before Excel can open it? So, do you have AV installed?

Also, does it work when you SAVE the file to your computer and then try to open it? I think you said earlier this works.

Guest kdcrawford

Thanks for your reply Alexmvp:

AV is installed, McAfee full suite (soon to be switched to Norton, my subscription expires at the end of this month), automatically updated and set to automatically scan every evening. I did have issues with AdAware once before but I have that disabled in outlook, and to be sure that no "ad-ins" were the problem, I started Outlook in safe mode (ctrl and start). I also thought it may have been McAfee and to be sure it was not the problem, I disconnected the computer from the network(home), shut down McAfee and attempted opening the files, no luck. The files can be saved and then opened. In addition, I am able to preview the files that have a pre-viewer installed without issue.

I have run a complete scan of the computer for viruses, adware, and malware, it is clean. On the other side of the coin, some of these files that can't be opened, I created them in the past and had emailed them to others (these are located in my sent folder, so, I assume, (and I know what that means) that these are virus free).

I am stumped, and nowhere on the internet can I find anything about this. I have checked on many of the search sites with no result. I also looked on the Microsoft site…. Nothing. I attempted to use their assistance only to be told that my “free” assistance period is expired and if I desired assistance I would need to pay, I think I paid them enough already when I bought the software…..

Thanks again…..

My guess would be that for some reason Outlook was set to not trust attachments.

You could try adjusting this

1. Open Outlook

2. Click Tools -> Trust Center

3. Look at Attachment Handling, see what version of Adobe you are running. Also what the security mode is set to and if preview of attachments is enabled.

Another cause could be a bug with adobe, lots of people are experiencing it

read here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/303008#303008

It may not be what I think it is, but unfortunately everyone I've talked to that has this bug has had to reinstall Outlook.

Guest kdcrawford

Thanks for the reply GoLfie:

I have checked the Security setting: Default, The Previewer is enabled.

Adobe is Version 9. I checked the link you forwarded; most of the other victims appear to be running Vista 64bit.

The problem is I am unable to open these files, I can preview them or I can save all these files from Outlook to the hard disk \ desktop and they will open. When I try to double click them to open them in \ from Outlook the file can’t be found.

The issue is not just Adobe, it also happens on Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, Windows Media Player, etc…. It worked in the past and all of a sudden it stopped working.

Thanks again for your assistance

Guest kdcrawford

Mr. Groove……….

Well here is your update, as I said in my earlier post I had checked the OLK folder, there were no items \ files in that folder. I went back to re-check the folder, still no files. Then I figured that I would just rename it, just in case. No go there, it was in use. Then I attempted to delete it, no go, in use………

I shut it down and restarted in Safe Mode, deleted the folder then restarted. I opened Outlook and checked the files to see if they would open, poof it works. I assume, again I know what that means, that the folder was somehow corrupted.

Thanks so much for your assistance and the assistance of all the others. Have a wonderful day…..

Kevin

PS…. I am now going to see if there are any posts for my P.O.S. HP CM1312nfi MFP, great printer, unless of course you don’t like to reload the drivers every few weeks……….I have 6 computers on my home network and everyone has the disappearing driver syndrome……… Great site, keep up the good work…….

Mr. Groove……….

Well here is your update, as I said in my earlier post I had checked the OLK folder, there were no items \ files in that folder. I went back to re-check the folder, still no files. Then I figured that I would just rename it, just in case. No go there, it was in use. Then I attempted to delete it, no go, in use………

I shut it down and restarted in Safe Mode, deleted the folder then restarted. I opened Outlook and checked the files to see if they would open, poof it works. I assume, again I know what that means, that the folder was somehow corrupted.

Thanks so much for your assistance and the assistance of all the others. Have a wonderful day…..

Kevin

Awesome!

Thanks for the heads up. That is a good FYI for others who might be having the same issue. Corrupt folder OR bad perms or who knows.....

If you can't find what you need on your other issue, just create a new topic.