groovyPost Forums

I was killing my family with dirty dishes!!

alexmvp

Want to hear a crazy one!

Over the past 12 months my wife and kids (2 kids) and I have been sick... wow.. non-stop colds, flu, sinus issues you name it we had it EVERY MONTH. About 14 months ago I bought a new Bosch dishwasher also...

Anyway, over the last 12 months all our dishes were coming out of the dishwasher clean but they always had an "odd" smell to them and sometimes a cloudy residue. My wife and I figured it was the Jetdry and didn't think of anything. They also were not always 100% clean or dry... My wife was pissed because we spent $2,000 on this Bosch unit and the dishes were not very clean and never dry after the cycle.

Anyway, about 3 months ago the Bosch dishwasher started ending the wash cycle with standing water in the bottom of the unit (that's when we noticed it anyway). We would start a new cycle then cancel it and close the door and it would pump out the water (after a few times) and things were fine.

I tried to fix it by putting Drano down but that didn't help much. Anyway, I then took out all the hoses and found a big clog in the drain hose.

The next load of dishes.... wow.... OMG.... During the cycle we could hear the Bosch pump the water out of the dishwasher out through the hose and out the garbage disposal. I mean this thing was pumping out water like never before. At the end of the full cycle wow, the dishes were SUPER CLEAN, DRY and..... NO FUNNY SMELL.

Since then (3 months) my family has not been sick ONCE.

I think I know what was going on. I think the dishwasher was running through the cycles and in between the cycles the soapy water was never getting flushed out of the unit. This was why the soapy cloudy residue was being left on our dishes hence the odd smell.

Also, during the dry phase, there was water left in the bottom of the unit that was evaporating the keeping our dishes wet. Again, more soap and gunk evaporating and getting onto our dishes....

So, before we fixed our clog I was a sickly, unhappy Bosch dishwasher owner. now, i'm VERY HAPPY AND HEALTHY!

Hope this helps a few ppl out there!

After fixing that TADAA :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

• 10 months later...
Guest robertsamual

Hi Alex,

Actually I read about the same problem on other forums also. I am new here but not new to this topic. You've examined the exact problem ( soapy water ). Its good that you found the solution before getting into any trouble. This wasn't dishwasher's fault actually. Now you know.

Edited by robertsamual

Hot tubes... yeah there is a nasty one. Cruise ships were making the guests sick because of the soaking tubs in the cabins.

Basically they would clean the tub but never the tubes for the jets. So old nasty water would sit in the jet tubes in the tub, turn all nasty then the next person would get in and turn on the jets. icky....

So a good reminder - be sure to run bleach water through the tubes in soaking tubs if you use it often.

Want to hear a crazy one!

Over the past 12 months my wife and kids (2 kids) and I have been sick... wow.. non-stop colds, flu, sinus issues you name it we had it EVERY MONTH. About 14 months ago I bought a new Bosch dishwasher also...

Anyway, over the last 12 months all our dishes were coming out of the dishwasher clean but they always had an "odd" smell to them and sometimes a cloudy residue. My wife and I figured it was the Jetdry and didn't think of anything. They also were not always 100% clean or dry... My wife was pissed because we spent $2,000 on this Bosch unit and the dishes were not very clean and never dry after the cycle.

Anyway, about 3 months ago the Bosch dishwasher started ending the wash cycle with standing water in the bottom of the unit (that's when we noticed it anyway). We would start a new cycle then cancel it and close the door and it would pump out the water (after a few times) and things were fine.

I tried to fix it by putting Drano down but that didn't help much. Anyway, I then took out all the hoses and found a big clog in the drain hose.

The next load of dishes.... wow.... OMG.... During the cycle we could hear the Bosch pump the water out of the dishwasher out through the hose and out the garbage disposal. I mean this thing was pumping out water like never before. At the end of the full cycle wow, the dishes were SUPER CLEAN, DRY and..... NO FUNNY SMELL.

Since then (3 months) my family has not been sick ONCE.

I think I know what was going on. I think the dishwasher was running through the cycles and in between the cycles the soapy water was never getting flushed out of the unit. This was why the soapy cloudy residue was being left on our dishes hence the odd smell.

Also, during the dry phase, there was water left in the bottom of the unit that was evaporating the keeping our dishes wet. Again, more soap and gunk evaporating and getting onto our dishes....

So, before we fixed our clog I was a sickly, unhappy Bosch dishwasher owner. now, i'm VERY HAPPY AND HEALTHY!

Hope this helps a few ppl out there!

After fixing that TADAA :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

That is wild. I did hear that a single soap crystal from dish washing soap can kill a child.... Powerful stuff you need to watch!