groovyPost Forums

China government hacks Google?

Looks like google might be pulling out of china - pulling the plug on google.cn

The post can be found here:

David Drummond, SVP, Corporate Development and Chief Legal Officer

Official Google Blog: A new approach to China http://bit.ly/7PU1ol

Excerpts I found interesting:

In mid-December, we detected a highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China that resulted in the theft of intellectual property from Google. However, it soon became clear that what at first appeared to be solely a security incident--albeit a significant one--was something quite different....

Second, we have evidence to suggest that a primary goal of the attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists.

So basically, China appears to be hacking corps. in the US looking for details on Human Rights activists... fun.

These attacks and the surveillance they have uncovered--combined with the attempts over the past year to further limit free speech on the web--have led us to conclude that we should review the feasibility of our business operations in China.

We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.

Interesting...

Well, no one write perfect code so given the motivation and time, I think ANY company on the internet can be hacked.

I don't think they would block IP's from China. That wouldn't really gain them much since it's simple to bounce off another site outside China etc... I think the point of the article is they will no longer pursue business in China under the "Google brand" not to say they wouldn't just buy a search company already in China etc...