groovyPost Forums

How to open/delete a CRX file?

Go to solution Solved by Simon H,

I found several 'CRX' files in my 'downloads' folder.I understand they're Chrome Extention files. For what, I don't know. I keep getting the message"Windows cannot open these files". Why can I not open my own files, even if I put them there by mistake.I don't know what they are,let alone delete them. Anyone have a clue? 'Cause I sure don't!

• Solution

You are correct, .CRX files are Chrome extension files so you will need Google chrome installed to open the files.

Before opening them, be aware that .CRX is a compressed file format and can contain executable files and therefore can contain viruses or malware in the same way that .zip files can contain malware.

Unless you are sure that the files are safe then do not open them.

To open them

1. Double click on the .CRX file extension and if it doesn’t automatically open in Chrome you will get a message ‘Windows can’t open this file’

2. Underneath were it says “What do you want to do?” click the button that says “Select a program from list of installed programs” then click OK. This will open the “Open with” dialog box.

3. Click on Browse and navigate to Google chrome it is normally at C:Users/Username/ AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/Application (where username is your own username)

4. In the Application folder click the Chrome icon and then click the Open button. This should open the file.