groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2007 - Save multiple emails as txt files

Guest gsxrian

Guest gsxrian

I am running Outlook 2007.

How do you save multiple outlook emails on a desktop folder as multiple text files ?

I can do this with one email but not with the select all feature.

Thanks

Hi GsxRian! Welcome to groovyPost!

There are a few different ways you can do it actually. If your OK with saving the emails into a SINGLE .txt file then it's really easy.

(1) The first method is to just Hold down CTRL and Click on the emails you want to save. Select as many as you like this way. Once you have them all selected just Click File -> Save As. Browse the the folder you want to dump the .txt file and click save.

This will convert all the emails (minus the attachments) into a single .txt file.

(2) The second method is a much FASTER way to do the same thing as long as you want to merge all the emails together into a single .txt file AND, the files are all in the same Outlook Folder (Inbox, sent items, included etc...).

For this Method just Click File -> Import and Export -> Export to a file -> Click Next -> Tab Separated Values (Windows) -> Click the folder containing emails you want to export -> Choose a location and File name -> Click Finish

Remember, for #2, you might want to Create a new folder and move all the emails into folder. that way you will only convert the emails you want into a text file.

I'll keep doing digging to see if there's a way to convert the emails into a separate .txt file for each email.

FYI - TIP

If you want to convert email to .txt as you read it in outlook, take a look here: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... look-2007/

Hope this helps.

I am running Outlook 2007.

How do you save multiple outlook emails on a desktop folder as multiple text files ?

I can do this with one email but not with the select all feature.

Thanks

Did a little poking around. Try this tool - http://www.genusa.com/utils/pmseu.htm

It's free and it says it will do most what your looking for:

improvements :

1. The export directory can be modified

2. two export modes :

* Either export all messages to a single file (its name can be modified)

* Either export each message to its own file which : 2.a extension can be modified

2.b last modified date attribute can be set to the sent date of the message

3. Attachements can be exported or not

4. A prefix _ (which is the number of the message in the folder) can be added at the beginning of the attachement file names and of the message file name. This allows to determine the attached files of a message (they have the same numbering)

5. All the subfolders can be reccursively exported (a corresponding folder in the file system is then created)

Give that a shot and let us know if it works!

One thing you might need to do first however is create a .PST file and copy the email you want to export into that .pst file. If you need help on how to do that, let me know.

One more - http://www.techhit.com/messagesave/. This one isn't free however but it looks to be a more packaged product. Free 30 day license advertised so that should do the trick for ya.