groovyPost Forums

Create "favorite folder" in MS Fonts???!!!

I am using Win 7 and do desktop publishing for my company with MS Publisher 2010. I wish I could create a folder in Publisher (or in MS fonts) of the 15 fonts I like the most instead of scrolling through all the available fonts over and over! Is there a way to do this? If fonts can be added, why can't a folder be added in there too? Thanks!Andy C.

Hi Andy,

The best way I can think of to avoid all the scrolling is to set up your favourite fonts as styles and prefix the names with an exclamation mark and a number. Then when you click the styles icon they will all be at the top of the list.

If that doesn’t make sense here is a step by step.

On the home tab in the styles group click the “Styles” icon then “New Style…” alt text

In the New Style dialog box click the Font button.

alt text

Choose your favourite font and click “OK”. For this example I chose Lucinda Handwriting.

alt text

Now under “Enter new style name:” type the name of your favourite font prefixed with !1 Then click “OK” The reason for using an exclamation mark in the prefix is to ensure it sorts to the top of the list even if you have other fonts that start with numbers.

alt text

Now do this for the rest of your favourite fonts with your second favourite prefixed with !2 third favourite prefixed with !3 etc.

Now when you click the Styles Icon all your favourite fonts will be sorted to the top of the list. I have done 4 for this example but you can do as many as you want.

You then just click whichever one you want to use

alt text

If you ever change your mind you can always right click any of the styles and choose delete.

If any of them become used less frequently you can easily move them down the list be renaming with a higher number.

Alternatively if its more convenient, you could just use the exclamation mark as a prefix without any numbers. This would result in your favourite fonts being placed at the top of the list in alphabetical order.

Note that when you close this document and open a new one the favourite fonts will no longer be in the list.

The only way I know of in publisher to make them available in new documents is to save this document with a descriptive name such as publisher fonts.

Now when you open a new publisher document click the styles Icon and select “Import Styles” you then choose the document you saved earlier called publisher fonts or whatever you called it and click “OK”

This imports all the custom styles with your favourite fonts at the top of the list.

I don’t use publisher very often so there might be a better way to make the new styles available to new documents. If anybody knows hopefully they will let us know.

Hi Andy,

The best way I can think of to avoid all the scrolling is to set up your favourite fonts as styles and prefix the names with an exclamation mark and a number. Then when you click the styles icon they will all be at the top of the list.

If that doesn’t make sense here is a step by step.

On the home tab in the styles group click the “Styles” icon then “New Style…” alt text

In the New Style dialog box click the Font button.

alt text

Choose your favourite font and click “OK”. For this example I chose Lucinda Handwriting.

alt text

Now under “Enter new style name:” type the name of your favourite font prefixed with !1 Then click “OK” The reason for using an exclamation mark in the prefix is to ensure it sorts to the top of the list even if you have other fonts that start with numbers.

alt text

Now do this for the rest of your favourite fonts with your second favourite prefixed with !2 third favourite prefixed with !3 etc.

Now when you click the Styles Icon all your favourite fonts will be sorted to the top of the list. I have done 4 for this example but you can do as many as you want.

You then just click whichever one you want to use

alt text

If you ever change your mind you can always right click any of the styles and choose delete.

If any of them become used less frequently you can easily move them down the list be renaming with a higher number.

Alternatively if its more convenient, you could just use the exclamation mark as a prefix without any numbers. This would result in your favourite fonts being placed at the top of the list in alphabetical order.

Note that when you close this document and open a new one the favourite fonts will no longer be in the list.

The only way I know of in publisher to make them available in new documents is to save this document with a descriptive name such as publisher fonts.

Now when you open a new publisher document click the styles Icon and select “Import Styles” you then choose the document you saved earlier called publisher fonts or whatever you called it and click “OK”

This imports all the custom styles with your favourite fonts at the top of the list.

I don’t use publisher very often so there might be a better way to make the new styles available to new documents. If anybody knows hopefully they will let us know.

Works Perfectly! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ComputerExpert I see what you are getting at but the advice you give is terrible and there are at least 4 problems

1. What you describe will rename the font files but not the font names so won’t make any difference to the way they show up in the list.
  2. You could use a font editor to change the font names but you would also need to install those newly named fonts. These renamed fonts would then theoretically show at the top of the list, but I haven't tried it.
  3. Fonts have standardised names so that any computer knows which one to use, by giving fonts custom names other computers will not be able to display the document as you intended.
  4. At some point your own computer will look for the old fonts and won’t be able to find them since they have been renamed. For example its easy for us to deduct that !1Arial is probably Arial but your computer won’t know this and won’t be able to display correctly.

Using the styles avoids all this incompatibility.

I don't purport to be a computer expert but I am in no doubt that renaming fonts is a really bad idea, shame on you for suggesting it.