groovyPost Forums

Can get my Gigabyte SSD NVMe M2 2280 register on my note

Go to solution Solved by jglerner,

How did it comes that my computer has no driver other than Microsoft´s JUn 21st 2006 version 10.0.18362.1 and doesn´t register as a "ready disk" even if I full mirror my SAta? GPT and all the stuff...I´m lost (and devasted, too)!

Using Windows 10 Pro 1909 version

By the way can´t post my file because I got such a mess on my computer till I was able to bring my note from dead to alive,,,

More, the NVMe is btrand new abd has never been touched on the contact area.

Message from JGLerner

Gigabyte SSD NVMe M2 2280,  from the title, also it´s a 512 GB which I forgot to say.

Laptop  Inspiron i5 114" ref 7742

Yes and it shows under Device Manager but it says Disk.inf  ( driver) is ok but the stick "isn´t completely registered"  Something like "device not migrated" or alike.

No records for the exact message as the laptop died... until it was resurrected with the ols Sata.

The very stick is this one: https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/GIGABYTE-NVMe-SSD-512GB#kf

Hi @jglerner

So it sounds like the new Gagabyte NMVe drive died so you put the old SSD back into it. It's a bit hard to follow you above due to the typos but I'll try to help. 

My suggestion would be to put the old drive back in and then go into the BIOS and make sure the bios can see the drive. From there boot up.

If you do this, what happens when you boot up? Does Windows start with the Gagabyte NVMe drive? 

I’m jglerner with other email but I couldn’t login as my computer bis logged, sorry!

The NVMe is not dead. The message is •device not migrated”. 
Other than hard work, BIOS recognize Gigabyte stick but doesn’t boot if you cut off HDD. Then the computer goes dead and you need to fiddle a lot till you can restart from HDD. 
At that point , if you start again the process it gives you the same results. 
Kind of odd but, maybe, something to do with BIOS not recognizing NVMe.

By the way I cloned HDD in GPT and all stuff the right way, as I allways did successfully but this one. Did it three times at no avail. 

Gigabyte SSD NVMe M2 2280,  from the title, also it´s a 512 Gb which I forgot to say.

Laptopp  Inspiron i5 114" ref 7742

Yes and it shows under Device Manager but it says DIsk.inf  ( driver)is ok but the stick "isn´t rcompletely egistered"  Something like "device not migrated" or alike.

No records for the exact message as the laptop died... until it was ressurected with the ols Sata.

Message is as above "device not migrated"

DId it three times. 

@Steve

Here are the messages I read today as I tried a second time to install the NVMe:

From Events:

24-Jul-20 15:28:29   Device not migrated

From Information:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_GIGABYTE_GP-GSM2\5&3a14e125&0&000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_JMicron&Prod_Generic\000000
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path: 
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC001001F030
Present: false

Any clue?

Thanks!

hi @Jacques G Lerner - Here is a site with a few options: https://www.minitool.com/news/device-not-migrated.html

I don't think this is a USB so you can ignore all that. I assume the drive is plugged in directly to your motherboard or PCIe card correct? That article has a few fixes you can try. I've personally never run into the "device not migrated" before, that's a new one for me.

Here is another article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-sata-ports-ssds-and-hdd-device-not/6ff9bc60-dd4c-4d40-9b50-3bdc60bc7506

It mentions using EasyBCD to correct the drive. Take a read and let me know if you make progress.