groovyPost Forums

Disable Windows Defender in Vista?

Guest takato

First and foremost, WELCOME to the site!

In answer to your question; after I read your post I went ahead and threw up a few How To Articles on the main groovyPost site.

There are 2 different ways to disable the Windows Vista Defender and I covered both of them. Here are the links:

Disable Windows Defender for Microsoft Vista

Remove Windows Defender from Vista System Startup

Personally, I would just do both to make sure it's 1: Disabled 2: Removed from Startup. No need wasting precious resources if you don't have to.

On a side note, if you decide you want to enable it later, just launch it from the Windows Start Button.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Takato

Curious to hear why you want to disable Defender? I've been using it and it's pretty good. I stuck with it over Spybot being that I'm trying to keep the number of installed apps low on my vista box.

Just wondering your thought process on this one.

Thanks (and welcome to the site also :)

First and foremost, WELCOME to the site!

In answer to your question; after I read your post I went ahead and threw up a few How To Articles on the main groovyPost site.

There are 2 different ways to disable the Windows Vista Defender and I covered both of them. Here are the links:

Disable Windows Defender for Microsoft Vista

Remove Windows Defender from Vista System Startup

Personally, I would just do both to make sure it's 1: Disabled 2: Removed from Startup. No need wasting precious resources if you don't have to.

Perfect! Completely answered my question and it's now done! thanks

Curious to hear why you want to disable Defender? I've been using it and it's pretty good. I stuck with it over Spybot being that I'm trying to keep the number of installed apps low on my vista box.

Just wondering your thought process on this one.

Hi poneil,

what can I say. I've not really bought into the whole "spyware". I have Norton AV installed and it catches things here and there. I don't like it when an OS comes with "add-ons". I like to install everything myself so I know what's taking CPU. I'm a purist what can I say :)

Hi poneil,

what can I say. I've not really bought into the whole "spyware". I have Norton AV installed and it catches things here and there. I don't like it when an OS comes with "add-ons". I like to install everything myself so I know what's taking CPU. I'm a purist what can I say :)

Norton.... eck.....

You should at least have SpyBot running http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html. It's the best out there. My 2 cents anyway :)

cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm one of "those" people. I like Windows Defender. I mean cmon, it's installed on almost ALL windows Vista boxes in the world so they are going to have the most definitions period.

And it's free and automatic. If you have a PC which can run Vista, you should be fine.

now.... Defender on Server 2008 - That's a different story. I disabled that right after install for all my images!