groovyPost Forums

How to add .iso to Microsoft Hyper-V Library or VM?

Guest jnpeters

Guest jnpeters

Ok.... This is probably a stupid question but for the life of me I can't figure it out. First post here so please don't judge me. :shock:

I've been playing around with Hyper-V on my test server and so far I've installed or migrated a few VM's from my VMWare and Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 no problems.

Now I want to install the Windows 7 Beta and a few other VM's from ISO but I can't figure out this Library thing. I've look everywhere but there doesn't seem to be a way to add an .ISO to the Hyper-V Library.

I see the options to Add Library Servers, New Templates, New Hardware Profiles, but under the Library Settings nothing about a .ISO. and on the VM's you cannot map the virtual CD/DVD to an .ISO unless it's already been added to the Library!!! I'm freaking out.

Thanks!

oh - BTW - I'm running Windows Server 2008 x64 with 16 Gigs Memory on an IBM x3650 although I don't think this matters much.

Hello and Welcome to the site!

Ok.... This is probably a stupid question but for the life of me I can't figure it out. First post here so please don't judge me.

You must be joking! There are no Stupid questions PERIOD!

I can understand the frustration. Although you didn't mention it, I assume your using the new Version of Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager 2008?

Adding an ISO using VMM 2008 is different from Virtual Server 2005 R2 but the concept is still the same.

Essentially all you need to do is just "COPY" the .ISO image file to the file location of your Library.

For instance, in my test environment my first Hyper-V server I installed Virtual Machine Manager 2008 on is also my Library Server. During install it prompted me for the location on the Server Hard Drive I wanted store the library files and the share name.

On my Server it's D:\vmmlibrary however this is different for everyone being that it's a configurable option during setup.

Under the D:\VMMLibrary Folder I created 2 subfolders:

D:\VMMLibrary

D:\VMMLibrary\VHDs

D:\VMMLibrary\ISO

So for my config all I had to do was copy all my .ISO files to the ISO folder to easily organize the files.

Once you copy the .ISO into the Library Folder structure you will need to REFRESH the library from the Console of Virtual Machine Manager. To do this:

How-To Refresh Virtual Machine Manager 2008 Library

1) From VMM 2008 Console, Click Library on the left side menu bar

2) Under Library: Resources Menu on the Top left, Right-Click the Library Server and Click Refresh

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you figure it out. If not, I can post a few screenshots to assist.