groovyPost Forums

More news on Google Instant Search & Analytics & Adwords

Earlier in the week we wrote about Google Instant Search and today Google posted some additional information for Google Analytics, Adwords and Adsense users / advertisers.

http://analytics.blogspot.com/2010/09/m ... earch.html

Some answers to your other questions:

Should I change my search advertising strategy to serve ads on to partial keywords (e.g. if I sell flowers, should I advertise on “flow”)?

This is not a productive strategy. Please note that ads are triggered based on the “predicted query” and not the stem that the users types in. So, in this example, the partial query “flow” triggers results for the predicted query of “flowers”. The only way someone can see your ad for “flow” is if they specifically searched for that word and hit enter or clicked search. And since you sell flowers, it’s not likely that your ad for flowers will be served alongside such a generic and irrelevant word.

Does this change impact the ranking of search results?

No, this change does not impact the ranking of search results.

What term will I see in Google Analytics if a visitor comes on a partial query?

The keyword analytics sends is not the partial one but the predicted query. If a user was typing "web metrics" but got the search result she wanted at “web met” with the predicted term being "web metrics", then you will see “web metrics” in your Google Analytics reports.

How will this affect my AdWords impression count?

When someone searches using Google Instant, ad impressions are counted in these situations:

The user begins to type a query on Google and clicks anywhere on the page (a search result, an ad, a spell correction, a related search).

The user chooses a particular query by clicking the Search button, pressing Enter, or selecting one of the predicted queries.

The user stops typing, and the results are displayed for a minimum of three seconds.”

Some good info in there which is worth a read if your wondering how the new instant search impacts Google Analytics and Advertising.

Also some good info here: http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bi ... wer=187309

• 3 years later...

The basics of creating a great Adsense ad has not changed, so it always pays to go back to the basics. Remember that the first line must be 35 characters long. This line should be all in capital letters. Use a punctuation mark at the end so that they do not separate this line for some reason. You then have two additional lines to write your copy followed by a line that contains the URL. This line also has 25 characters. Use them all wisely. In addition, run three ads at the same time. Run your best producing ad twice and your new test ad once.