groovyPost Forums

NEED HELP! PS2 turns off by itself!

dw96

Hi. I just got my PS2 modded with Matr!x version 1.99, but I have a problem. While I was playing Crash Twinsanity, all of a sudden the screen went blue (on my TV this means that there's no connection) and the PS2 light slowly started flickering from green to yellow, and from yellow to red.

I tried it in the other room where it's MUCH colder (with an air conditioner) and it worked just fine. Does this mean my fan is starting to die? Should I bring it back to the guy who modded it or should I buy it a fan? Before the modding it worked just fine in 31 degrees Celsius while playing Formula '05, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work now. If anyone has any tips/suggestions/hints PLEASE post back... :(

Piracy is illegal. Piracy is illegal. Piracy is illegal.

Well...modding your ps2 was your first mistake. Modding gives you extra heat inside your ps2. Because your modding your software to go beyond that whats your ps2 officialy capable of. So its creating more heat. To much heat.

Im not the guy giving clearence when it comes to modding. I hate modding. Just buy legal games. I mean, whats the plus side of modding? None.... there is none.

But if you realy need advice, take the cover of your ps2 (warranty is allready gone cause of the modding) and clean the ps2 while its of the electricitythingy. Dont get yourself killed. Take a big brush an clean the inside, maybe with a vacuumcleaner. Then make the opening, in wich the fan is, bigger. Take of the ribs in the vent hole where the air exit. And do the same with the hole where the air enters. Then, if possible, max up the watts that go to the fan. Or replace the fan. You could also make your own housing with just the internals of the ps2 and build in your own fans. I did almost the same thing with my cupboard in wich my NAS and my modem are. 4 fans in the bottem, and 4 in the top.

Still, modding is illegal. I wont be held responsible for anything you do. Dont kill the business with your modding.

Hey there :)

I know Piracy is illegal, you don't have to tell me, but with most of my original games scratched, my only choice is to play my backups! What am I supposed to do, buy the game over and over again every time it gets scratched? No thanks... I'll stick with my backups.

By the way the PS2 is working fine now. I started it up this morning and it showed no flaws at all. I still can't beat that level on Crash Twinsanity though! :D :D :D Don't know what's gotten into me, I've beaten the whole game before, now this second level... geez :D

The cooling is probably the problem , my best bet would be to buy it a extra fan. This thing is like a freakin' X-Box - if it gets too hot it refuses to work! :D

Edit: Thanks for your response anyway! :)

Edit 2: ABOUT DAMN TIME! Just passed that level I was talking about. Took me 10 minutes! :mrgreen: