groovyPost Forums

Hard Drive Imaging

Guest monazz

Guest monazz

I am looking to create a system image of my hard drive because it seems to be reporting errors. I was looking to reformat the drive and then restore the data using the system image. I understand that imaging takes an exact copy of the drive. If you then restore using system image after formatting the hard drive are you then restoring the errors as well?

Also, I tried to format the drive using the windows 7 boot cd. When it got to the hard drives information page it would not give me access to perform a format on the Windows system drive. I have another HDD and that can be formatted no problem.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Hmm if the hard drive isn't even letting you reformat it sounds like a bad HDD.

As far as images go, it only copies software errors so if a hardware error is your problem it won't copy to the image, but if it's a bad HDD then the image could be corrupt anyway.

Guest Joseph

Yeah, you cannot format your system drive. it would delete the format.exe command your using to do the format! (and the GU you launched the format from).

I think the worst thing you will find is if it's the physical drive that is giving you issues, a close of the drive is not going to help unless you image it and put it onto a new drive.