groovyPost Forums

Getting instant search error when searching in Outlook

Guest KatieS

This just started happening yesterday. I have Outlook 2007 and I go to my sent items and put words in upper right search box like Staples or something and then I get this error. "Instant Search encountered a problem while trying to display serach results. Modifying your qurery may resolve this problem." I thought it was not indexing so I left my Outlook open all night and same thing today. I NEED this search to work to look up past emails to clients,etc. Any help is very much appreciated!

Hi Katie and welcome to the groovyPost community!

This is a fairly common problem, especially for Windows Vista users.

There are a few things we can try to resolve this issue. The first and usually most effective is to update and reinstall Windows Search.

The installation file is available on the Windows Search Website

Or if you prefer here is the Direct Download Link

Run the downloaded .msu file Windows6.0-KB940157

If after updating Windows Search the problem still continues it may be because of an error within your PST files. You can repair the PST Files easily by following this groovy Tutorial.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue! There are a few other things to try if this doesn't work.

Hi,

ff the steps grooveDexter suggested wont work, I'd recommend trying third party search plugins. I made great experiences with Lookeen. It's fast, easy to use and it uses less system resources when indexing. For further information check http://www.lookeen.net There you can download a free trial, too. Hope your problem gets solved in any way...

Frank

Hi,

ff the steps grooveDexter suggested wont work, I'd recommend trying third party search plugins. I made great experiences with Lookeen. It's fast, easy to use and it uses less system resources when indexing. For further information check http://www,lookeen.net There you can download a free trial, too. Hope your problem gets solved in any way...

Frank

Ewww, it only has a 14 day free trial and after that you have to pay $40.

Looks like third-party crapware to me. They don't even have a terms of service or privacy policy listed anywhere on their site. I've seen some good reviews for the product but they look like someone paid them to write them, aka self promotion.

Edit:

Yeah so I took a look at some other forums with info on Lookeen and all of the users were Lookeen employees posing as testimonials.. Crapware!

I found another tech site saying how Lookeen will destroy your .PST files, I have to agree with it since it's similar to Xobni which can do the same thing. Link: http://blog.gnu-designs.com/warning-do- ... -and-xobni

Katie,

Your best bet is what grooveDexter said to do, or upgrade to Windows 7 and install the Outlook 2010 beta.